WinXP:Screen Trips out. Ever seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually after viewing directories with lots of pictures in them or just after some amount of time or after doing searches my screen goes crazy. Icons change location, title bars move to different areas, Windows Explorer acts really wierd.

I have all the latest drivers, updates, and ran spybot, adaware, anti virus etc.

Rebooting fixes it, but I have to do it a few times a day.

Thanks for looking!

WierdScreen.jpg

hello braincandy1.

Its quite possible that you may have a hi-jacker. Go here , and follow all the instructions to the letter. when this has been done, post a hijack this log, then await for instruction. most likely it will be from howard_hopkinso.

Its either that, or you don't have enough system resources available - RAM, HDD free space, CPU time....

Its been a while.. you still getting the problems?

apart from Fn-esse.exe (which i can't find any info, maybe you can share a light here?) your HJT log looks clean. Although you do seem to have no current antivirus software active.. get AVG

what are your system specs?
what programs do you normaly have in the background/active?

Few things for you to try if you still got the problem is to
-up your ram
-do a chkdsk /f and defrag maintenance
-clean up some files
-run a program called CCleaner

Yewp, still got problems.

Fn-esse.exe is a app that comes with Toshiba Laptops to customize Fn buttons.

I run CCleaner probably more often than I should, lol.

I've gone though my services and turned off all services related to antivirus envolving norton. Norton auto checks my emails and docs every time and I scan everything I download manually and religiously so it didn't seem to help to always have it running. I also went through vipers list of windows xp services and turned off everything that's safe that I don't really need to free up even more resources. I might seem alitttle much but when I do work I need everything I can get.

I have a 3.2GHz duo core with 1 Gig of DDR2 and I usually just have Fn-esse, Active Sync, and Mailwasher running in the system tray. I regularly Defrag with DiskKeeper, and once a week have it do a chkdsk and defrag the MTF and Pagefile. Also every couple of weeks (or more often if I'm installing and uninstalling a bunch of stuff) I manually go through my temp file areas in the usual xp places and dump em. I also periodicly get rid of the leftover $nt... directories left over in the windows dir from xp updates.

Thank's for looking again and if there is anytthing that I missed please let me know.

PS. The problem is not dependent on any piticular app being open. In fact it's just as quick to happen if nothing is open and I'm just in windows explorer. It does seem to be related to picture files. So if I open a dir with a lot of pictures (detail view or whatever) or go through a lot of directories with few pictures in each, eventually the problem occurs.

well thats great that you take care of your pc and all :) not many do..

your specs should be overkill enough to do such a simple task of browsing files..

You seem to know what you're doing so i just suggest a few brainstorms that may help..try start checking the health and drivers of your hardware.. starting from drivers for video card, etc. then have a look at testing the RAM with memtest and out of curiosity visually and physically checking the hardware themselves for unusual stuff..

Now that i think of it, i think i've seen that type of screenshot before, but just passed it off as being a windows ME on a crappy spec'd celeron laptop.. i can't remember how it disappeared or if it got fixed.. its been that long from me touching that laptop...

If all else fails, there's a little app called ExplorerXP that is a great substitute to your windows explorer and leaves very little footprint and even with corrupted video files present still pretty stable. Give it a try if anything.. i'll try and find the link if you can't get to it..

Thanks, I'll try that explorer!

Now I didn't want to give it away too much but I actually had this problem on my last laptop and it drove my peers nuts then too. There's some piece of software or combo, or dll, or ?, that's doing it. When I bought this laptop, so did a buddy of mine, I did a complete whipe, got everything going and cloned mine onto his. His doesn't have this problem, :p.

I used to think it was a mem problem because my old laptop, using memtester, actually had a few bad addresses. However, when the problem migrated to my new laptop....

The problem seems to be so elusive that I thought I would just post a screenshoot and see if anyone has ever seen it.

Anyway, thanks again for looking everyone! And if I ever find the bastard dll or whatever, that's doing it, I'll post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back