WinXp sp2 system freezes, cannot launch Taskmanager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just installed WinXPpro SP2 onto my Toshiba Tecra A2 notebook. I get as far as joining the domain in my office, downloading the updates from the Microsoft site and I can do nothing else. I have "Spyware Doctor" running as well. I ran Hijack this and have attached the log file. Can anyone help me, please!

You have a useless program running: Spyware Doctor. This uses up huge amounts of system-resources, and is a lousy spycatcher at best. Get rid of it.

Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF.

Now UNinstall anything to do with:
C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\
PCTools or Spyware Dr or whatever else it calls itself.

Next, run a HJT scan and place a tick-mark in the little square before (if still there):
...................................................................................................
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1118833217661
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = ie.McDcorp
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = ie.mcdcorp
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = ie.McDcorp
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = ie.McDcorp
O23 - Service: Tmesrv3 (Tmesrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TME3\Tmesrv31.exe" /Service (file missing)
...................................................................................................
Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.

When done, from between the dotted lines, delete the highlighted bold files.
When a \directory-name\ is bold, delete everything in it, including that directory itself.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

Yeah, get rid of spy doc. Its a horrible program and doesent offer very much. Use ad-aware and you might see better performance mate

Thanks for thet guys, i did get rid of the program, however it hasn'y made any difference. The one thing I did is install all the security patches from Microsoft, would this have made the system freeze like this?

Do a full virus scan and try another program called Spybot. I personally do not like it, but people prefer it over Ad-aware or vice versa. I guess it's all down to personal opinion. Do you notice any strange looking threads under task manger?

Edit: Sory, just realized you couldnt get into task manager. Can you get into it now?

It's hard to say, with those tons of utilities that you have running.
Norton/Symantec has an obscene amount of bloatware running.
You have umpteen Toshiba utils going.
I get a headache just looking at your HJT log, imagine how 'poor' Windows feels!

What happens when you boot in safe mode?
Could the laptop be overheating perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back