WinXP won't boot from SATA if set as first priority in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two questions:

1. Why do I have to set my BIOS to boot from the IDE hard drive first then the SATA hard drive to get windows to boot, when my winXP is installed on the SATA hard drive?

2. What the best way to recover data from my old IDE hard drive without having my computer try to boot from this drive when my operating system is on the SATA drive? It seems to prefer trying to boot from the IDE drives first.

I am currently running an ASUS 8AN SLI-Deluxe motherboard with one 500GB IDE hard drive and one 160GB SATA hard drive. I have windows xp installed on the SATA drive. I tried attaching an older computer's IDE hard drive to my slave IDE connection to retrieve my old files. It was recognized in the BIOS, but then when I tried to reboot the computer, it was trying to boot the windows 98 OS(that's corrupted) from the IDE. The BIOS is set to boot from the SATA first and then the IDE master on the hard drive priority list (not the list that prioritizes the boot devices, CDROM, floppy, etc...) I removed the old hard drive, and tried to restart the computer again. It wouldn't restart. I changed the boot hard drive boot priority to the SATA first and then the IDE hard drive. It still wouldn't boot without having the WIN XP disk in the CDROM. I couldn't get the WINXP to boot until I set the IDE as the first priority and then the SATA as second. I read about some similar but not exactly the same issues, maybe the answer to this may help.

I still want to recover my old files from the older IDE. I am not sure how to do this now. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back