Wireless Belkin print server appears to be disabling all the printer drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just installed a wireless Belkin Print Server and having several problems. There are 3 computers, 2 on Windows 2000 and a lap top on XP. At first 2 of the printers could print fine. Then I downloaded the printdrivers for the HP 6110 on to the 3rd machine. Since then the drivers have been deleted from the other 2 computers - and the download version doesn't work. So now none of the computers can print.

I can reinstall the drivers - but what is to stop this happpening all over again?

The network is wireless (netgear) using BT Broadband. Can any one suggest what I can do to retsore the printer - incidentally after the pc drivers disappeared I checked the lap top and it was fine until it was switched on - it worked once then went teh same way as the others...Can anyone help?

Belkin

Hi,

I was wondering if you have managed to sort your problem out, as I am suffering from excatly the same issue. The help desk of Belkin was not use, as t hey suggested that I go and buy another printer!!

Regards

I too am having similar problems. I am trying to integrate a Belkin wireless print server into an existing Belkin wireless network. I can get as far as setting everything up and getting the print server to successfully print a test page, but the action of configuring the server deletes the printer driver from the client PC, so when I come to print from an application on the client PC, teh printer is not visible.

I am using Windows XP (Home), the printer is an HP PSC 1219.

Any ideas, please

Mike Cross

How are you "configuring the server"? Don't use any silly wizards. If you have an advanced mode available, then use that.

A network device cannot have any effect on your local computer - this can only happen because of some stupid software.

I have tried both ways of configuring the print server, using the wizard and directly, as you suggest. But in both cases the result is the same: Printer deleted from list of installed printers.

At the very least I would expect to "see" the printer in my network places. I can access the print server web inerface and configure it OK (it seems), but just can't actually print.

Any further thoughts ?

Mike

UGH. Never install a printer as a Windows network printer. Use ports whenever possible.

I'm pretty sure your print server supports JetDirect and LPR in addition to SMB printing.

In order of preference:
Install the printer as a local printer attached to a standard TCP/IP port. Try as raw TCP/IP first, then LPR.
Install the printer as a local printer attached to a local port (defined as \\printserver\printername)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back