Wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Inspiron laptop with a Linksys WPC11 wireless card showing a good to fair connection and activity light flashing cannot connect to internet, i.e. dns error.

I brought to my home connected easily to my wireless network. So I updated WIN ME, NAV and scanned--showed clean. Ran Ad-aware. Took it back to its home, still would not connect to the internet. Same symptoms, wireless configutation utility showed a connection sending and receiving, but IE only came up with dns error. Checked lan setting in IE. Removed all TCP/IP, and windows communication software, restarted....deleted winsock keys in registry...restarted, re-installed windows communication software.....still no internet connection....at startup did not get a network login---only a windows login.

Took laptop to router, made an ethernet connection....got network login, internet connection worked....

What is going on? I thought bad wireless card, but it worked at my house. And we had tried using the wireless card sitting next to the router where it showed an excellent connection, but still no internet connection. I don't know where to look next.

DNS error means an error in TCP/IP settings. Go over everything and set all the values you know manually. Also disable software firewall - they may get confused with several network adapters.

control panel/ administrative tools/ computer management/ services and applications/ services/ make sure both dns client and dhcp client are started. i had a similar problem that resolved it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back