wireless internet and ps2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if i should post here or the console forum. A friend has wireless service through T-mobile. (no actual land based modem) Can he share or bridge a connection between his laptop with wireless capabilities? He has the old style ps2 (not sure what version), network adapter and a crossover cable to run from his laptop to the ps2. If this can be done please share. we have tried to set up the connection manually using the IP and DNAS address provided in the internet settings. each time we either get a time out error or we get the DNAS verifying and then the error 611. will a wireless ps2 network adapter work ? or is it possible to do without buying one? ive been searching for a few days and the only help i can find is regarding a wireless network in the the house with a land based modem as the original source. there is no router here, the only thing hooked to the internet is the laptop. thanks and happy holidays (it would be a great xmas present for him if i can get this working)

Does he use the laptop and ps2 at the same time?
if so, best suggestion is get a router, they are cheap.

i tried to get mine to work by plugging it into my computer, as my computer had a wired network card and a wireless card, but i didnt have any luck. not saying it isnt possible, i just never figgured it out.

no, he just wants to be able to use the laptop as a means to get the ps2 to play online. if he were to get a router, how can this work. I know about computers but not much about networking them together. (just what ive read in online forums). thanks

well, I use a wireless router and a ps2 and a PC. I have mine statically assigned at 192.168.0.10. All you do is pop in the network disc that came with the ps2 network adapter, and put in the network settings. There are many guides out there for setting this up. just do a search. I personally like mine set up as static instead of letting a DHCP server handle it. The wire connections go like this. Modem--->internet port of router. router port 1----->laptop/pc router port 2---->PS2. Thats it.

remember, there is no modem! it is a wireless internet (no land based modem to connect to wirelessly) i have done searches but havent found help for this type of connection. all i can find is for wireless networks (dsl or cable based). there is a special network connection that needs to be created and shared but i have no idea how to set it up along with the ps2 network settings. thanks for the responses

the wireless router will act as a modem in your case then. Just take the modem part out of the equation. The rest of the setup is the same. Think of the wireless router as a "computer" put in-between solely to manage which device gets which data coming through. For him, this is the best route. You could do a software version called internet connection sharing, but I don't recommend it. Also, I've looked into prices, and a wireless router is cheaper than a wireless connector for the PS2 (go figure), so it's a cheaper solution as well.

Edit: one more thing. check with your provider to make sure you CAN use a router. This is a must, as I'm not sure how they have their system set up. It sounds like you have a "hotspot" type connection with your ISP, and I'm not sure if wireless "router to router" communication works.

ed20910 said:
remember, there is no modem! it is a wireless internet (no land based modem to connect to wirelessly) i have done searches but havent found help for this type of connection. all i can find is for wireless networks (dsl or cable based). there is a special network connection that needs to be created and shared but i have no idea how to set it up along with the ps2 network settings. thanks for the responses

oh, i understand what u are saying now.

i do believe that a wireless router can be set up to get the signal from your wireless internet providers signal, never actually done it, but im sure that you can. other than that, im not sure how u would connect it to your pc.

is there any particular type of router to purchase? im assuming a wireless router? thanks for the help. i got more in such a short amount of time than anywhere else. :bounce:

i would recomend lynksis, i have one, and thier tech support online instant chat is very knowledgeable, and will help you when u have problems, unlike some other companies whos tech support people are morons who know less about computers than i do, like microsoft games tech support for example.

lol, they told me that the ip address that was displayed when i typed ipconfig was invalid, and that i had to call my isp to get it changed. mind you i called them 3 different times, because occasionaly you get someone who doesnt know anything, but 3 in a row is just plain rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back