Wireless Internet Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappleton

I recently set up a wireless internet connection on my laptop

Everytime I try to connect it says page cannot be displayed, also with the message: -

Limited or no connectivity

Ive found that I can get the internet working by going to the wireless connection settings, clicking 'change advanced settings', then clicking on 'Wireless networks' tab and ticking the box that says

'Use windows to configure my wireless network settings'

Everytime I tick this box the internet seems to work fine a couple of seconds later,

but I hate having to do all this every time I want to connect to the internet, I cant understand why it cant save my settings

is there anything I can do?

ps> this is nothing to do with the windows sp2 update as it happened even before I insta

I assume you are using Windows XP. I had the same problem when I installed my friends wireless network::
Router: Linksys WRT54GS
Desktops: Linksys WMP54GS
Laptops: Linksys WPC54GS
Printers: HP Wireless-G Network Color and Laser B&W Printers

Here is a list of things you need to do in order to get your network up and running flawlessly::
1) Do NOT use Windows to configure your network settings and do NOT enable Windows firewall.
2) Place the Router several feet ABOVE - I placed it in the attic - and in the geometrical center of all your other wireless devices.
3) Download the latest drivers for your devices and the latest firmware for your router from the manufacturers website.
4) Install the firmware and the drivers on their respective devices and shutdown each and every of them, then start-up again after a minute.

If you are still having problems afterwards; this is what you need to do next:
5) Purchase High Gain Antennas for your Router - the connector will generally be a TNC swivel connector.
a) If you are running 802.11b and/or 802.11g you need 2.4GHz High Gain Antennas.
b) If you are running 802.11a you need 5GHz High Gain Antennas.
c) I strongly recommend at least 9dBi Antennas for this.
6) If your network is still not running properly then you must purchase High Gain Antennas for your devices also.
a) The respective frequencies are the same but you will generally need to purchase Antennas with SMA swivel connectors.
b) Again, it is best to purchase at least 9dBi Antennas.
7) Finally, you may search Google for linux-based firmware for your router.
a) This will you allow you to boost the power - in milliwatts - fed to your router's antenna.
b) It will usually also support higher bitrate WEP encryption and other added security features.
c) Some will even come packaged with noise-filtering software.
d) Only use this as a LAST RESORT as it is tricky to find an honest subsitute - one with not packet sniffers and other malicious code - and as the manufacturer of your router will no longer be able to offer you any kind of support.

hmarga said:
I assume you are using Windows XP. I had the same problem when I installed my friends wireless network::
Router: Linksys WRT54GS
Desktops: Linksys WMP54GS
Laptops: Linksys WPC54GS
Printers: HP Wireless-G Network Color and Laser B&W Printers

Here is a list of things you need to do in order to get your network up and running flawlessly::
1) Do NOT use Windows to configure your network settings and do NOT enable Windows firewall.
2) Place the Router several feet ABOVE - I placed it in the attic - and in the geometrical center of all your other wireless devices.
3) Download the latest drivers for your devices and the latest firmware for your router from the manufacturers website.
4) Install the firmware and the drivers on their respective devices and shutdown each and every of them, then start-up again after a minute.

If you are still having problems afterwards; this is what you need to do next:
5) Purchase High Gain Antennas for your Router - the connector will generally be a TNC swivel connector.
a) If you are running 802.11b and/or 802.11g you need 2.4GHz High Gain Antennas.
b) If you are running 802.11a you need 5GHz High Gain Antennas.
c) I strongly recommend at least 9dBi Antennas for this.
6) If your network is still not running properly then you must purchase High Gain Antennas for your devices also.
a) The respective frequencies are the same but you will generally need to purchase Antennas with SMA swivel connectors.
b) Again, it is best to purchase at least 9dBi Antennas.
7) Finally, you may search Google for linux-based firmware for your router.
a) This will you allow you to boost the power - in milliwatts - fed to your router's antenna.
b) It will usually also support higher bitrate WEP encryption and other added security features.
c) Some will even come packaged with noise-filtering software.
d) Only use this as a LAST RESORT as it is tricky to find an honest subsitute - one with not packet sniffers and other malicious code - and as the manufacturer of your router will no longer be able to offer you any kind of support.

ive tryed re-installing the drivers that came with the disc and am still having the same problem. i dont have my firewall enabled either. also, the signal strength is always above 90% so I dont think its anything to do with the positioning of the router. i wasnt sure what firmware was though?

I'm having a similar problem with the limited to no connectivity, i thought i had fixed it yesterday by manually inputting the network address, it seemed to work as the error disappeared but i still can't get onto the internet at all and quite frankly i'm stumped. BTW its a wireless connection through a router and a modem (but my housemates can get onto the net with no trouble so it must be my computer thats playing up) any help would be really appreciated

okay you install the driver and does the system see your network?
When you access the web page you can't connect or you drop our connection. Can you see other PCs in your house?
When you open files on shared systems do they open quick or take a long time to open?

Wireless Connection on Road.

Hi there! I have IBM ThinkPad laptop running on Window Xp,
I,ve got D-Link DWL G650 version B5, wireless internet card
At home where the D-Link wireless router is, it's working just fine.
On the road ( at a hotel where the wireless internet access available)
I've been told by the hotel staff if you have a the wireless card
internet access is ready.
_meaning any access internet card should work?
_any setting is require?

the card above it doesn't work
do I miss any thing?

Thanks!

Tommi

I have found using windows to configure my connection the most stable out of all the 3rd party programs that come with network cards and adaptors. The connection problem may well be a problem registering with the DNS server (the router) or if your laptop uses wireless internet somewhere else that uses a proxy server, trying to connect through a non proxy server connection will not work. Sorry if this is getting techy.

A few things to try;

1. Go into the command prompt
Start menu > Run > cmd
Type in
ipconfig /all
and make a note of the ip address it gives you.
Still in command prompt type in
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
and see if the problem goes away

2. Launch Internet Explorer click on tools > internet options > Connections Tab
First off make sure your Dial up and VPN settings are correct
Next click on LAN settings and if you arent using a proxy server (you would know if you were (also if there is something written in the proxy server box, make a note of this) make sure none of the boxes are ticked.

Keep pressing OK and APPLY until it all goes away and try the connection again.

Bad wireless internet connection.

I have recently moved to a area where we only have Wireless Internet. To give a run down of my situation. I play world of warcraft daily. I have suffering from high latency and frequent disconnects. I have went threw numberous of routers trying to solve the problem. Nothing is helping. Here is my info, I have Windows XP SP3, everything is up to date, I am hardwired to a Dlink DGL4500 Gaming router, along with 3 other Desktop computers. All three have the same issue, even when there is only one on. My Router is connected to a small box that basically powers my antenna on my house. The tower we have here in town I am only 30 yards away from. My router is also up to date on firmware. Here is the bad part. From 6am to 12 midnight central time my connection is just horrible, takes 5 min to open or change a webpage. But most of the time is displays internet explorer cant not display etc, the usual from no internet connection. I have repeatly contacted my service provider and they claim we are the only ones having any problems and that there is some sort of "Noise" in the spectum and that it is "site Spacific". My town os a very small town of population 800. We are whats called the Forgotten Country Folks. We dont have cable tv avaible. We are lucky to even have this wireless internet. Is there anything out there that maybe I can purchase to stop this interuptions? Granted they have not charged me for my internet it has been 4 months now like this and they claim they will deploy some sort of new equipment that uses a different frequency, except hopes of that is wearing thin. Been far to long and I believe if they were going to fix this issue they would have done so months ago. Any suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back