Wireless Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revere

My Internet Connection is screwed up

I have Quest DSL Broadband Wireless. I use a modem and a D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB Adaptor. When i connect through Internet Explorer it works great. Whenever i try to sign in on MSN Messenger, AOL Instant Messanger or anything i downloaded to my computer that has to connect to the internet, IT DOESN'T WORK . Whenever i try to sign in i get a message that i wasn't able to connect to the internet. Its like i cant connect to the internet through anything but Internet Explorer. I don't know how to fix it. i have tried everything. Help Me!

sounds like it may be a firewall issue. If it is trying to dial or authenticate your DSL then it may be because you need to change all the settings to have those apps connect using your LAN connection instead of using DSL settings.

Thanks

Thanks! I'll have to try that. I have been getting help from my family. I have Norton Firewall 2004 and Norton Antivirus. We have configured the Norton programs the same as the other computers in the LAN network. My mom's tried signing in using my screen name on AOL Instant Messanger and it worked. It must be something with my computer. Could something on parental controls have anything to do with it?

Quick uninstall nortan Firewall and use "Sygate personal firewall" which is free to use from sygate, and also use AVG for virus protection from grisoft which is also free forever! Have had no problems with this setup. also download spybot, Ad-aware, spyware Blaster, and Spy Cleaner.

Thanks

I have tried that but still haven't checked my firewall. When i thought it was bad not to have AIM it got worse i couldn't even get on the internet. We deleted some programs and i could get back on the internet. Check your task list and if it has a program called Salm DELETE IT!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER.

ill tell you i had the same problem but it was completely opposite i could use aim or aol, but i couldnt use internet explorer...i had a bad router..check out ur router it could be bad..

I seriously doubt that was caused by a bad router, sounds more like firewall settings in the router were blocking your AIM and AOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back