Wireless internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

im new to wireless internet and would like some help on setting it up.

i have a broadband connection (via cable modem) and a brand new laptop. what sort of hardware would i need. any reveiws or suggestions of hardware would help.

thanks.

D-Link seems to have the best routers on the market for home use. I use a motorola, cause it was given to me for christmas. Not my first choice, but so far it's been good enough. They are also working on new firmware for the router which should provide more options. Although there are alot of options now. WR850G is what I have and I actually recommened it, since you can get it cheap!

A wireless PCMCIA card will also be needed. 802.11G is the standard you will want to buy. You can walk away 50 bucks for card and another 10 (after rebates) to 100 for a decent router. Just stay away from belkin.

I use a Linksys router and wireless card to network my desktop and laptop. So far, everything works great. I can share the files on my desktop with the laptop flawlessly. The only problem I had (minor) is that I had to turn my software firewall off, but since the router has one built in, this is not a big deal as long as you are connected to the network. My desktop is connected to the router via network cable and the laptop is wireless. Both are connected to a DSL modem via the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back