Wireless Lan Card Cant Detect Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I bought an Acer 2301 laptop a few months ago. It has an Acer IPN 2220 wireless LAN card. A few days ago I visited my brother who has a wireless network set up in his house – DLINK ADSL broadband router. He uses the wireless network for 1 Pc and 2 laptops. As I had my laptop I tried to connect to this network but couldn’t. I tried finding wireless networks and it said there were no wireless networks found in range. I disabled and re-enabled the LAN card. I uninstalled and re-installed it. I disabled my firewall. All to no avail. The network is not running encrypted and my brother said he had no trouble connecting all his wireless cards. Can anyone explain why my wireless LAN card couldn’t find anything?

Thanks

there could be several reasons for this, the card could have simply had its "radio" turned off. Most internal cards have a switch function to turn on and off their ability to detect networks. This is usually either a special button or a key combo. Check the BIOS, the card may have to be enabled in there as well as in device manager. Some systems I've encountered come with wireless disabled in the BIOS as default. Also, are you sure your brother's router was "broadcasting" its SSID. Most routers have the ability to turn this off. This causes you to have to know the SSID and config the card manually.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot see any reference to the LAN card in the bios, nor can I find any switch for activating the card. The manual is also unhelpful as it doesn't even mention the card, let alone mention any special keys for activation. Next time I'm at my brother's I'll check if the SSID is being broadcast. Meanwhile I'll drop a line to Acer Tech Support.

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

Problem Update

Just an update on this problem. Having established that it was the network card and not the wireless router I contacted Acer who, after going through a long series of checks over the phone, arranged for the laptop to be collected for repair. I got it back a week later and it was working fine. According to the work sheet all they had done was to reload everything from the Recovery CD. This was a pain as they had deleted all my files and software and it took me half a day to reload everything. But I was happy as the network card was working and has worked for about the last 3 weeks. And then yesterday it stopped working again. It will not pick up any wireless network. I haven't changed anything , deleted anything or loaded anything.

If this is a software problem surely I can correct it without doing a full system restore. Does anyone have a clue what piece of software may be causing this malfunction?

Uninstall everything, then see if it can detect a network. If it does, install the software one at a time until you find your culprit.

I've got a similar problem with my acer 2303LCi notebook. Whenever my wife log's in on her account there are no wireless networks available. However when I log in under my acount, I can find the wireless network. Very frustrating. There definitely is a problem with the wireless adapters in these acer notebooks.

Hey I just downloaded and installed the new Wireless LAN configuration utility from the acer website and it seems to have helped with my connectivity issues. Try it out and see if it solves your issue.

Problem still exists. The acer wireless configuration utility says that the radio is off. There is no way to turn the radio on. This only happens when my wife logs in. When I switch to my account, I can successfully initiate a scan for wireless access points.

Really frustrating.

azikiwe; Does your wife have different access to the machine that you? That is to say, is her account an administrator account?

If it is a permissions issue with the wireless connection software, and you don't want her to have anymore rights to the machine you may have to assign specific rights to some registry keys and/or the program's folder.

This doesn't pertain to FAT partitions. I'm assuming your are running windows 2000 or better with NTFS. Is this the case?

I am having the same problem with an Acer TravelMate 2304LCi.

The system was connecting to the wireless network with no problems, then after the system sat for 5 days (the user forgot it and left on vacation) it no longer connects. I installed the WLAN utility from acer and also get the Hw Radio: OFF.

I have successfully connected to the network with a SMC PCMCIA card and a LinkSys USB WiFi adapter but still cant get the internal INP2220 to work.

We have changed the OS to Win XP Pro with SP2 and have all the latest drivers from Acer but still can not connect. We have also checked the BIOS but see nothing that would effect the WiFi adapter.

If anyone has successfully resolved this issue please let me know.

Well I got my answer from Acer 800 Support and I kind of feel like a fool what the answer is, but I will share with you anyways just in case it happens to someone else.

It seems the two oval lights on the front of the Acer TravelMate 2304LCi are not only lights to indicate WiFi traffic, but also buttons to turn the WiFi radio on and off for security reasons. If you press and hold the left side button for 3-5 seconds it should turn back on the WiFi radio. Windows XP (and maybe other OS’s) have a power saving function that turns the radio off when not in use to save the battery, so you have to use the buttons to turn the radio back on. Seems like a pain in the @$$ to me, but it’s a clients laptop not mine so he will have to live with that.

I hope this helps someone so they do not have to go through the frustration of trying to figure out why the radio has been turned off.

ipn 2220 wireless lan

Hi...

Just bougt a Aspire 1360 Notebook, and i also had big trouble with connecting to my Router/AP (SMC) - All the other computers in my house connets perfektly via WiFi but not Aspire 1360... I found out that ipn 2220 does NOT support channels higher than CH 11 - and my network was set to CH 13. So after setting the channel to 10 on my Router, and Aspire 1360, it all works as it should

Just for your info..

Best Regards
Peter Jensen
Denmark

Acer Aspire 1360 WLAN card present?

Greetings from Italy!
I know the question I'm about to pose is somehow ridiculous, but I need some help.
I installed a WLAN at home using a Linksys router. All is fine and well, I'm writing right now using my old Acer laptop with a Zyxel PCMCIA. Channel is set on 1.

My sister and her boyfriend are about to move next to my apartment. He's bought an Acer Aspire 1360, supposedly with an integrated WLAN adapter.

My question is: how can I find out IF the piece of hardware is at all present? Windows doesn't "see" the device, the button for activating it is present but says "no device", the BIOS says nothing... it means there is none, or simply it still needs to be activated somewhere?
Keep in mind:
1) I was not present when Win XP was installed
2) I already installed Acer WLAN drivers
3) The Acer manual, as usual, just says "WLAN adaptor: optional"... fine with me, but I didn't buy the damn laptop and now would like to know if the thing is onboard or not! Easy: if it's not, I'll tell the guy to just buy a PCMCIA card and end of the story.

Many thanks for helping out on this issue.

Mirko

Hi there guys, I am having similar problems with my laptop Acer travelmate 4150. I have a wireless network at home, was and is still working fine. I used to connect with my Dell Inspiron...and then I purchased this acer. The network detection was working fine until recently, it was unable to detect the wireless network. Found out about the switch and all. My question is....why when I use my laptop at home, the wireless switch turns off automatically upon startup, then I have to then turn on the switch manually (by pressing it and the refreshing the network list) then it connects...I do not face this problem in my office...the wireless switch stays on all the way from startup, but at home it goes off? Can anyone help me or am I stuck with this crap.

Wireless turns off automatically

Dear guys, I feel a bit stupid, answering my own question….remember what “dacow” said about (If you press and hold the left side button for 3-5 seconds it should turn back on the WiFi radio. Windows XP (and maybe other OS’s) have a power saving function that turns the radio off when not in use to save the battery, so you have to use the buttons to turn the radio back on. Seems like a pain in the @$$ to me, but it’s a clients laptop not mine so he will have to live with that.) This got me thinking, my problem was the same at home I was running on battery mode hence the system turns off the wireless to optimize the battery life and that’s why while at the office the wireless connection remained on, as I was on power supply. Now this took me a step further as it will be a pain in the neck every time I go on battery mode, which is to turn the wireless switch on, the is an application running on acer laptops called “Acer ePower Management”, click on this and it will take you to the Acer ePower Management Settings where, you can have these options, To turn “ON” or “OFF” the Wireless LAN, Card Bus, LAN and FireWire. So just click on the Wireless LAN which toggles between “ON” and “OFF”. Solves the pain in the @##. Hope this small contribution helps. :bounce: :bounce:

Wireless on/off problem on Acer 370 Travelmate

Hi guys,
I have an Acer Travelmate 370 with an internal Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter... I recently unplugged my Acer from mains power to operate on the battery and my wireless card suddenly switched off!

I've read all the help above and I also have the Intel PROset configuration utility (which has an on/off option but it is disabled!) so I am 'stuck'

Can anybody help me turn my wireless on again?

PS. I did buy an external wireless card that works fine but would obviously prefer to go back to my internal card... HELP :)

jimmy_C said:
Hi guys,
I have an Acer Travelmate 370 with an internal Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter... I recently unplugged my Acer from mains power to operate on the battery and my wireless card suddenly switched off!

I've read all the help above and I also have the Intel PROset configuration utility (which has an on/off option but it is disabled!) so I am 'stuck'

Can anybody help me turn my wireless on again?
This is a power management issue, you should use Acer ePower utility to enable wireless card when running on battery. This utility, however, sometimes set the things incorrectly (I really don't know why) so the most sure way to enable wireless radio all the time is to use Registry editor: open the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\acer\ePower\PowerPolicies\DEV_WIRELESS and set all the values (AC1, DC1 ... DC4) to value "1".

Hi. My Acer Ferrari 3400 (305002 model)'s inbuilt wireless connection does not appear to be working. It cannot detect any wireless networks despite there definately being dozens in area (including my own wireless router, all of which works with other Dell wireless notebook). I have tried disabling wep hoping it would then see the network but cant. Wired LAN works fine. The system says the adaptor is fine and I have tried disabling it and enabling it, the driver is up to date.

I downloaded the WLAN 802.11g driver from Acer website and installed it and it still does not work though there is now a new WLAN 801.11g mini-PCI Module Configuration Utility to use. When I try to “Enable Radio”, I get a message “The radio on your 802.11 network adapter is still disabled. Use the hardware radio control switch to enable it” What and how do I do that?

Please help as this problem has caused us a lot of trouble. Thank you. Direct replies to cersei69@hotmail.com welcomed

dacow said:
Well I got my answer from Acer 800 Support and I kind of feel like a fool what the answer is, but I will share with you anyways just in case it happens to someone else.

It seems the two oval lights on the front of the Acer TravelMate 2304LCi are not only lights to indicate WiFi traffic, but also buttons to turn the WiFi radio on and off for security reasons. If you press and hold the left side button for 3-5 seconds it should turn back on the WiFi radio.

WOW, you are absolutely right! after searching the net for last 3 hours and trying all sorts of things, including downloading the WLAN programme, I realise there ARE 2 buttons at front right. One has symbol of bluetooth (also by default off) and other has a radar picture which was the "hardware switch" to turn wireless on.

Thank you, Thank you ,Thank you.

And yes, Acer is very stupid to put this in and not inform their clients properly

Hi, I have a similar problem and has nothing to do with Acer. Mine is an assembled laptop and uses Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 network adaptor. From the past week the laptop does not detect any wireless connection. It connects though a cable though.
No conflict shown in the device manager. Can someone help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back