wireless netoworking

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i have 2 problems.

1. i have a wireless/wired network at home. 1 desktop is wired, 2laptops and 1 desktop are wireless. the laptops stay connected to the network as long as the machines are on. the desktop however keeps droppng the link and regaining it. does anyone know how to fix this?

2. i have a different wireless network at a buddy's house, one machine is wired, other is wireless. wireless machine is win98. i can see the network, ping, tracert. but i cannot connect to the internet. im not familiar with wireless networking on win98. any help?

1. Does it have a gigabit adapter? Try updating the drivers first. If that doesn't help then set the link speed and duplex manually in Device Manager for the NIC. Assuming you have a switch or a router there try with 100Mbit full duplex first and then 10Mbit full duplex.

2. Can see which network and ping what? if you can ping internet IP addresses then you have a problem with DNS configuration. You may also have wireless security blocking that machine.

if you can see the network(I assume by this you mean see and ping the router and other machines) Then check the router config for internet access restrictions, if none are there, maybe a firmware update to the router is needed for that particular wireless adapter to work properly.

As for the dropping desktop, it is likely either interference, range, or a driver/firmware issue. Make sure the router has the latest firmware and the card has the latest driver(especially if they are different brands)
Also make sure there is nothing around that may be causing interference for the desktop(take one of the laptops to the same location as the desktp, see if it suffers any signal loss or drops there as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back