Wireless Network *ADVICE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Need Wireless Network *ADVICE*

Hello techspot people :)

I am lookking for some advice as im soon going to buy a wireless network to rig up my iMac (600mhz 256mb running OSX) & PC (3.4ghz 1gb running XP Pro). They are in different rooms.

I would like them to be connected so they can share my Broadband (Tiscali UK 1mb Business Broadband). and to share files but broadband is much more a necessity.

I have been looking in stores such as PC World, Currys, Comet etc but have all been very expensive and have had no 'expert advice'. I have a decent knowledge on computers but on this subject im not great.

I really have a budget of NO MORE than £100 but really need cheaper.

I used the PC for *gaming*, music downloads, work etc etc and am on it ALOT, the mac is going to be used for music downloads and browsing only.

I would like the wireless network to be realible as many of my friends have had problems playing games with theres, lagging, packet loss etc.

Does anyone know what i should go for? and where from?

ANY ADVICE is much appreciated.

Thanks alot. Mokamemo :bounce:

You can fit into £100 no problem if you had PCs - two wireless adapters and a router cost less than that if you look around. I'm not sure about the Mac though - unless it already has wireless, it may be very expensive to install one.

www.pricerunner.co.uk to compare prices of stuff in UK.

Hello,

Once you have 802.11 (standard wireless) card in the Windows pc, you then buy a router or access point:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=93180

This will allow file sharing aswell as everything else.

What you do is:

1. Plug router into mac via ethranet cable (rj45 whatever).

2. Then plug internet into router via ethranet cable

3. Then configure the router using the mac

4. Then connect to the router using Windows pc (using the wirless card)

From then on you can share pretty much anything.

Hope this helps,

Alex

...or use mac's airport to do the same thing.. it does run on standard wifi conventions (802.11) and however you wnat to set up (like alex's post).

only equipment you'd need is a wireless router (save up for the more faster ones if you plan on using wiht games like the 108g) and an airport/wifi thing for your mac if you dont already have one

ok i have just read another post and its about a person wanting information on the best wireless router. Someone said that if you have a broadband connection with a USB modem you cannot use a wireless router? Is this correct? Cause i am currently using a usb modem. I thought that the wireless router would replace the modem outright?

Currently my setup is..

Phone Socket to Usb Modem to PC (massive long wire & iMac dnt have internet)

I would like it like this..

Phone Socket to Wireless Router (acting as modem, sitting next to phone socket) to iMac & PC (wirelessly)

Sorry is any is this is obvious or stupid i just dont want to spend alot of money and it be the wrong thing. I have Tiscali Broadband in the UK if this information is needed.

*EDIT* the modem im using is the SAGEM F@ST 840 USB? Would i need to buy another ethernet modem? And would it be compatible with Tiscali? Why does this have to be so complicated? :(

your setup would look like
modem --- wireless-router ---- pc + imac​
life get easier if the router and the pc adaptor are from the same vendor.
for the iMac, I got a D-Link DWL-G810 which is USB connected to the mac.
To configure the G810, you hardware it to the router, do the config, and then
disconnect to go wireless.

Get all systems accessing the Internet and then we can assist you with
file sharing :)

Ok

So i need a decent router... any suggestions, im looking on ebay here mostly. I would like to go with Linksys or 3com.

A PC Adaptor, ill get same make as router

That mac adaptor... DWL-G810 (about £20 ive seen)?

and i should be up and running?

well haveing the usb modem changes things slightly..

you can get router/modem combo unit, maybe cheaper than buying two units, altho thats up for questioning (i know some of the guys here would say different)..

otherwise an alternative setup is to use your pc as the gateway, altho there are disadvantages with that (pc has to stay on while using the net etc.,)

so you might need a new modem if it doesnt have an ethernet connection..
i'd say just google the model of the router etc with reviews.. that will tell you if its good or not, and you can always ask us if you dont understand some stuff..

:)

Right so i need either...

A router with built in modem OR

A router and a ethernet modem.

Ok if this is correct, say i got the router and the modem seperate will my internet provider (TISCALI UK) still work?

Thanks for all the help.

Moka

You have to ask Tiscali.. It is possible for an ISP to impose restrictions that let you use only modems supplied by them.

Normally, we see modem + router as individual units.
WHY?
So if one fails, wse only need to replace the failing component.
Also, each can be purchased for its own virtue(s).

Hi speed modems fit DSL or cable; both frequently have both USB and Ethernet connections.

If you go with modem -- router -- systems, then use the ethernet from the modem to the router and forget that the USB is present.
Without a router, (modem--system), you can use the USB -> system.

I would use a router even if I had only one system :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back