Wireless network assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have a Compaq WL400 11MBPS Access Point and I'm trying to set up for my laptop to run Wireless. I have the software for this model but I am unable to obtain the IP Address for it.

I have connected all hardware devices (PC, Router and AP) to a Netgear Ethernet Switch. The switch is connected to my PC and the Internet still runs fine on my PC. My wireless laptop can see my Wireless connection but when it connects, it has limited Internet Connection. Keeping in mind, I have yet to play around with the AP software as it asks for an IP which I dont know what it is.

I need some more help with this and would love some assistance.

Thanks

jabroni said:
Hi there,

I have a Compaq WL400 11MBPS Access Point and I'm trying to set up for my laptop to run Wireless. I have the software for this model but I am unable to obtain the IP Address for it.

I have connected all hardware devices (PC, Router and AP) to a Netgear Ethernet Switch. The switch is connected to my PC and the Internet still runs fine on my PC. My wireless laptop can see my Wireless connection but when it connects, it has limited Internet Connection. Keeping in mind, I have yet to play around with the AP software as it asks for an IP which I dont know what it is.

I need some more help with this and would love some assistance.

Thanks

You usually get a limited connection when the PC is unable to get an IP address from a DHCP server and your PC is assigned a private address by Windows own inbuilt DHCP server.

Heres how to check

Start > Run > CMD > Ipconfig >enter. Your IP address may show as
169.x.x.x.

To use wireless on your laptop you have to link the AP to the router, as the router supplies the internet to the AP as well as supplying IP addresses via DHCP.

You will need to access the AP's configuration screen and tell it how it gets its Internet and that it has to assign an IP address to any wireless equipment within range.

To set up wireless is a bit of a pain as it involves a couple of steps but if you have the instruction manual or disk for the AP it shouldnt be to hard.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back