Wireless network card driver problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a Windows XP, SP2 machine, 2.4 GHz, 1Gb RAM. I recently installed a D-Link AirPlus G Wireless network adapter. Due to a silly mistake on my part, I physically installed the card before installing the driver, something the user's guide tells you not to do, but usually no major drama, right? When the device did not behave as it should have, I compounded the mistake by using the Windows Device Manager to uninstall the drive rather than the uninstall routine in the start menu folder for the card. I don't know if this is what has caused my subsequent problems. Anyway, although the card now works, I am plagued by three problems. Firstly, when Windows starts up, most of the time it sits for several minutes on the wallpaper image before any icons show up. Secondly, periodically, the machine suddenly 'forgets' that it has been told about the card, and comes up with the 'found new hardware' wizard. Arrrggghhh!! I then have to go through the whole damn process of reinstalling the drivers and utilities again to get the card working. Finally, I can not boot into Safe Mode for some reason - the on-screen startup log gets half way through loading the various bits and pieces then suddenly the machine resets and I have to boot normally. Weird, I reckon - since when is safe mode harder to start up than normal mode? D-Link's technical support have been no help. They tell me to call Microsoft technical support ha ha. Do I need to mention how thoroughly useless they invariably are?

So, ye techie geniuses... any brilliant ideas short of a clean Windows reinstall? I really don't want to do that, given how much stuff is sitting on, in and around my computer. It'd take all week...

Thank you.
pierznj

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

You could try loading up a restore-point that's older than when you first put the card in, (remember to take out the card first though) and then do the install routine the correct way...

If that doesn't fix the problem, you're going to have to uninstall it manually...
First go to the "uninstall hardware" dialog (in the cp), then uninstall the software. Next load up regedit.exe and search for "dlink" "d-link" and whatever the card is called (ie "DL234"). When everything is removed, shut down your system, take out the card and boot again. Run regedit again to see that nothing is left, then start the install procedure.

Good luck!

fixed!

Thank you, thank you MrGaribaldi! The manual uninstall did the trick apparently. I haven't tried the safe mode boot yet, but the hanging desktop problem is gone. I'll remember that trick...
Cheers.
:) pierznj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back