Wireless network on linux??

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazon_sephy

Hi,

I have Microsoft's wrieless network gear, the base station, and their wireless notebook card. I was wondering if there happen to be some drivers that will let me use the wireless nic on red hat 9. I really doubt that official drivers exist, but maybe some generic do?? Also, is wireless networking on linux an issue at the moment?? I know that on the windows side, which is what im using right now, Win Xp is the best to work with for wireless. Any help would be great, thanks.

I would suggest that wireless NIC is just bearing the MS logo and is actually some vanilla wireless card. I understand that the card is PCMCIA, just install Linux and plug it in. See if it is recognized.

Have a look at your kernel source. Go into /usr/src and there should be some kernel source directories. Go into one and run the command

make xconfig

that will give you an idea of what drivers are there available for wireless networks for linux.

linux is maturing at an alarming rate, and you will likely find drivers for well known wireless cards. have a look there first and see if its supported.

You may have to recompile your kernel to get the new hardware to work. if you need to do this, post back here, and I will tell you what to do.

jedi learner difficulty level - checking for supported drivers included in kernel source - 20%, and recompiling kernel to support it as well - 62%.

recompiling the kernel

how do you recompile the kernel? I'm trying to recompile RedHat 9 for my P4 and the kernel doesn't boot.

Check out the kernel howto. If your new kernel is not booting it's because it is not complete or some options are wrongfully checked. Or maybe the corresponding modules are not intsalled, ...

First check out the kernel howto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back