wireless network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just tried to set up a wireless network on my PC so my wife can use her wifi laptop without connecting wires. My Router is a D-Link Di 614, she can get access to the internet, but it wont print or access shared files. When I try to open the laptop icon in My Network places on the PC, the message reads (Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Network Path Not Found)
Can Anyone shed some light on my problem? :

Have you enabled printer and file sharing on either or both the laptop and the PC?

File sharing: in Windows explorer, right-click on the drive icon and click on "Sharing and Security."

Printer sharing: Click Start, select "Printers and Faxes." Right-click on the printer and select the "Sharing" option.

its basically the same principals as any network, you will need to create a user account on both PC's if you want them to enter a workgroup for file and print sharing.
probably need to share your printer as well

Thanks Fella's. Ive enabled sharing on both computers. I think I've set up the network correctly? with the wizard. If I try to open my network places on the laptop, this is the message (MsHome is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact administrator to see if you have access permissions for this workgroup. The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available). do you think its because my router has no USB socket and the wizard tells you to put the flash drive into it then into the laptop when setting up. :confused:

Have you created the user accounts as toffeapple suggested? For example, if your wife's login for the laptop is "Susan," you need to create that account on the PC.

Hi There
Yes I've got her laptop icon on my PC when the laptop is on (is that bit right?) but it won't let me open it up to look at the properties etc. thats when it tells me Kath is not accessible etc.

Is your wife's account an administrator or limited? By default (I think), only admins can access files on the network.

BTW: What does it say when you try to print?

I don't really understand what you are asking, but to change an account go to Control Panel > User Accounts.

On the folders/files/drives you want to share, go to Properties> Sharing> Permissions.

What users and groups do you have?

What permissions do you have for those users/groups?

Thanks Kevin
I've set up my wifes user account to administrator . It wasn't before. And ive set up the files and printer to "shared".
I have a bad feeling that something is missing in the network settings, although what it is I don't know.
When I look at my network settings from the laptop it tells me that Mshome is not acessible, If I try to look at the laptop from the PC in "view workgroup computers" it says the laptop is not accessible/network path not found.
Ive run the network wizard as instructed, but I can't put the memory stick into the router as it says, because there is no USB port on it.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back