Wireless network problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

Hi guys,
I have just set up my laptop and tower on ADSL broadband. The laptop is running an internal wifi card through a Netgear ADSL router and connects to the internet fine (wherever i am in the house). My tower is connected through the same router but using a network cable. This again connects to the internet with no problems.
I have tried to set up a network with the 2 computers. Both have recognised each other on the "My network places". My tower can access the shared files on the laptop but every time i try to access my towers files through my laptop, it comes up with "tower is not accessible. You do not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied .

Sorry for the 'essay above' guys, but hopefully this will be enough info for someone in the know to help this newbie!

Forgot to mention, both are running XP service pack 2 and I have looked in the firewall settings and can't see anything obvious that I could change to make any difference.
Ta
Marcus

another point

if you use the same user name on both computers it might help.or you could add yourself as a user on the machine that is not letting you have access. also SP2 has that stupid firewall and that could be blocking you. i would create an exception for file and print sharing just to make sure :suspiciou

Nodsu said:
You need to set the share and file permissions correctly.

Any chance you could explain how I do this. I think I've already done it but it doesn't hurt to check it again.
Cheers,
Marcus

n3tw0rk t3ch said:
if you use the same user name on both computers it might help.or you could add yourself as a user on the machine that is not letting you have access. also SP2 has that stupid firewall and that could be blocking you. i would create an exception for file and print sharing just to make sure :suspiciou

I tried it last night with the sp2 firewall turn off and it made no difference. I've also made an exception for the file and print sharing but still no difference. I fookin hate computers sometimes!!! :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back