Wireless Network...with dial up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am very new to networking and i was wondering if you have dial up, can you just connect a phoneline to like a wireless router, and connect through that? If i am totally off please point me in a right direction if there is one :).

Thanks,

--frodre

There are wireless routers that have a builtin dialup modem or a serial port for an external one albeit hard to find.

The reason for this rareness is the limited bandwidth makes sharing extremely slow. With the price of broadband dropping is this not a consideration where you are?

No broadband is practically out of the question...i live in the gray area of two wisconsin towns one rural one mid sized, and i dont forsee them upgrading the phonelines anytime soon so i doubt i will ever be able to get it here. Now when you speak of sharing how would having a modem make sharing slower, I thought that most wireless hardware had a through put of 54 mbps or higher?

I think IronDuke was referring to your internet bandwidth (two or more PCs competed for internet bandwidth at the same time) rather than the home network bandwidth.

Young & Wild got my drift. I was thinking you were trying to share your connection. :)
We tend to get complacent about the availablity of broadband if we have it. Frodre I guess you can hope that somebody may think it worthwhile employing another technology. Satellite could be a way, but I guess there may be too small a group of potential customers.

Yeah, I just want to do it so i can get the second phoneline up in my room, so i dont miss so many calls, but after looking through routers with the COM port i dont know if its worth all that money. Maybe i should just have them run the second phoneline up to my room. But yeah satellite is out of the question, too expensive and the latency is high so it would be pretty much the same with gaming online. We'll see how it plays out.

well, you could do what i did and get ahold of a second computer (unless you already have one) and set it up as an internet gateway. i came across an old compaq with a pentium pro 200 in it and it runs win2k beautifully and share internet flawlessly. only problem i had with that setup was the NAT causing certain connection problems where port forwarding and ip addresses come into play. just make sure the machine can support lots of memory, win2k doesn't need tons of CPU but it sure likes it better when you have 256MB of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back