wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

Ok, here it goes. Room mate just set up wireless network password. My pc runs off of wifi. I have xp 64, can anyone please help guide or show me where I can find out how to connect to the network. Been trying all day and its ticking me off. I'm currently typing this on his IMAC thinga mabobber. So you see the urgency. Thx

Hi

You need the SSID of the wireless router, and you need the security key, if your using windows own wireless program then his network should show up as an available network, if it doesnt he may have his router hiding the SSID, in which case you will have to ask him, if its showing in the list of networks then click connect, windows will prompt you for the security key, again if you dont know it you will have to ask him.

Regards

supersmashbrada said:
Ok, here it goes. Room mate just set up wireless network password. My pc runs off of wifi. I have xp 64, can anyone please help guide or show me where I can find out how to connect to the network. Been trying all day and its ticking me off. I'm currently typing this on his IMAC thinga mabobber. So you see the urgency. Thx

You need to tell your mate to add your system MAC address for your laptop NIC to the wi-fi router and give you the password for you to access the router so you can get on the internet and transfers files on LAN and WAN if you need such function. You really don't need to have SSID since your wi-fi NIC will pick that up but it won't connect you unless you're added to MAC filter or you don't know what the password is to connect.

Ask your mate for the password... ta..

yeah so I got the password, Its asking for the SSID, I know its set up in wep mode, whenever I try to put the password in, it tells me that it has to be 5 or 13 characters long. My wifi tries to connect, he's added my MAC address as well. I've never done this before and I feel like a noob, lol.

yes I do know it, I can see the connection up, for some reason the packets are being sent but I cannot receive them(packets received througth wireless is still 0) I tried repairing to renew the ip address and everything.

Take the wireless on your laptop off DHCP and put that on static IP for a trial period until everything is working correctly. Then remove the static IP for DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back