Wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyirl

Is it even possible for computers to connect to a server over a wireless network so that they must login to use the computer?

If so what do I need to do?

I'm a bit confused.

Are you trying to setup encryption on your wireless network to prevent unwanted people from joining?

Yes to your answer.. But you should have password encryption setup so they need to know what's the password to get in. You can also protect the network using MAC address filtering..

Your question is a bit confusing but what i understand is you are asking if you can connect to a server over a wireless network. The answer to that is yes if the wireless router or access point is connected to the same switch or router that your server is on. As for the part about logging in, if you are using remote desktop or some kind of proxy or VNC viewer you would still get the same login prompt as if you where sitting @ the computer.

As for the MAC address filitering suggestion. I would have to disagree with using that unless you are on a very small network with no chance of ever having any guest use your wireless, unless you want to go through the trouble everytime to add a new mac address to your list everytime you get a new computer or someone comes to your office.

Using the OpenSource - Free Publicip for wireless connections

Not confusing... But anyway MAC address filtering is a good idea to protect your network. True you have to get the MAC address of the user who wants to connect who's new to the network. But that's a piece of cake to install. There is a program called Publicip for wireless connections in a place of business or home use. I've seen this and used in company. It does work. New users would login but have to fill out report or whatever is needed to register there system to the your domain or workgroup.

show here:

setup_diagram.gif

I'm sorry for not being more descriptive, itt try harder in the future.

I want to set up a netork with a server, for user accounts (security, public computers) but for many reasions it is not feasible to use wires. I have a wireless router but I cannot seem to get the computer to connect to the server through the router.

For some reasion I thought the router would behave the same as a switch :/ and as im sure you all know it doesn't. I wan't to know what settings i must change so that is does act like a switch, if this is even possible.

Thanks

Are you using a real server blade or just a PC running server os?
What model and make of wireless router are you using?
Does the wireless router have access point feature?
There are wireless drop devices that can extend your
network where you won't need to use wires from the
main router. Yes you can use the router as a switch
if it has ports for that purpose. I need more info
from you?

Its a PC but not just a normal PC it is using a mobo which came out of a blade. No mounting rack so it made more sense to put it in a case.

I am using a NETGEAR WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless, Linky

3 of the PC's can be connected via cable to this router but the rest will need to connect by wireless. I cannot run cables to the other computers and I really cannot afford to buy any more hardware, well until we get sponsor.

All PC's are using Zonet ZEW1602 PCI 54Mbps Wireless 802.11g cards, and the wireless works each computer talks to each other through the router and all have at least 95% reception , but i want them to communicate through the server so i can set up user accounts. And also so I can launch dedicated game servers from the server.

There are 5 64bit systems on the network and 5 32bit systems the 32bit systems will soon be changed to 64bit systems.

I know you said you can't do it but you need more than that wireless router need to buy wireless access point and connect that to the router. Use that to control your wireless network and extend the reach for the devices that are wireless. Otherwise you're going to have wireless problems.

vinnyirl said:
I am using a NETGEAR WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless, Linky

3 of the PC's can be connected via cable to this router but the rest will need to connect by wireless.

All PC's are using Zonet ZEW1602 PCI 54Mbps Wireless 802.11g cards, and the wireless works each computer talks to each other through the router and all have at least 95% reception
wire or wireless, the network still looks like
Code:
router ---- server
        +
        +--- client systems (both wired and wireless)
but i want them to communicate through the server so i can set up user accounts.
don't even attempt
Code:
 internet --- server --- router --- clients
You really want a domain controller environment, not a networking issue.
You get all systems to use Network Login to the server which does the authentication (password validation).
This controls access to server data and resources (eg printers and shares)

The WiFi encryption to the client systems only gives access to the TCP/router, NOT the server.

NETGEAR WGT624 - it's more for home use than a domain use.. Might want to invest into a dual WAN or VPN dual tunnel wireless router aim for small, medium business. Large scale you'll need to invest with CISCO or Nortel devices. Depending on your budget.

I know you guy are going to laugh at this but one of the lads helping me with the network is after getting it to work. Don't ask me how, ill be on latter today to tell ya all what happened. Cant believe he got it to work suppose thats because he studies computer science and i study mechatronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back