Wireless Printer Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP Photosmart 2575 All in One Printer. I am thinking about going wireless with the printer and get a wireless printer server.
Right now, i have it connected to my router and on my wireless network through its wired networking. (ALL COMPUTERS ARE ABLE TO ACCESS THE PRINTER AND ALL ITS FUNCTIONS.) this wired networking allows me to use the printer from all my computers with all the functions available to everyone (print, scan, copy).
Being the son and the "computer genius" of the household, the printer is in my room along with my router. I hate it when people need to print something and go in my room to get it. So i was wondering, why not put it in the hallway or another room where everyone has access to without disturbing anyone. So i was thinking, why not get a wireless print server.
But the real question is that is there a Wireless Print Server that allows me to use all the functions of the printer on each computer. PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

(help on how to setup will be nice. thnx)

Please don`t double post. Thanks.

A much easier and cheaper solution would be to get a longer CAT5-cable to make a wired connection to the printer in the hall. The limit for these cables is about 350 ft./100 meters.

adding to the list off suggestions.....

get a cheapo pc/pIII, throw in win98/linux or whatever and send it in the hallway with a printer attached to it and that going wifi

or get a wifi AP for printers.. dont know how much they cost but i do know they exists

Wireless/wired is just the medium - the data you move over the medium doesn't give a damn whether it goes through copper, fibre optics or thin air. Yes, wireless will work just like wired in theory. Whether it really works without any compatibility issues is another matter. I suggest you choose a well-known wireless brand and steer away from el cheapo stuff.

Don't buy a Trendnet print server..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back