wireless router installed, but not how I would like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently set up a linksys wrt54gs router. It runs through my smc7004vbr router. This works but not as good as I would like. I am having trouble doing one or more things at the same time, like browsing the internet, connecting a game to the internet, or downloading anything. I used to be able to do this but after the new router (I think) I was no longer able to. The linksys router runs through a port on the SMC router and my computer is connected to the linksys one, along with the other 2 computers. The computer I am using doesn't need to use the wireless capabilities, I just want it to be connected directly and faster. I tried reading other things and played around with it, but nothing worked. thanks

Hi Shake14 and welcome to TechSpot

First off why are you using 2 routers, make a choice, one or the other, if its a case of needing more sockets than the router has, then buy a switch or a hub and plug that into the router, if however you are using the linksys as a wireless device then I suggest getting rid of it and buying a standalone wireless access point.

Regards

No, it's not that we need the sockets. The reason is that the person who connected the router followed the steps connecting it up but then it never said to remove the first router, so he didn't. I tried removing the cable and plugging it directly into the router but that didn't work. Idealy, I would like to just use the one linksys router.

Set the wireless router up as access point... To do this turn off DHCP on the wireless router. I am like you which I now have 3 routers.

Main wired router -- DHCP enabled
Wireless Router/Access Point - DHCP disabled different wireless channel used (needs static IP address)
Wireless Router/Access Point - DHCP disabled different wireless channel used (needs static IP address)
and Wireless Ethernet Converter (needs static IP address)

My main wired router supports internet gaming and VPN, but does a excellent job...

Okay, I turned off DHCP on the wireless router and already had a static ip. Everything works, but I still can't do more than one thing at a time it seems like.

Whichever PC requires the most bandwidth will get it. There is no real way to split the bandwidth evenly (unless you buy a beefy Cisco router!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back