Wireless speed under wireless network connection status fluctuating????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SultanGris

when i double click the icon in my systray of the the flashing monitor, which opens my wireless network connection status window, the number next to Speed fluctuates between 11.0 Mbps to 54.0 Mbps. I just updated my dlink wbr 2310 routers firmware to 1.03 from 1.02 because previously i was getting randomly disconnected. Its only been a couple days, but i havnt yet noticed that ive been randomly disconnected anymore, but now my connection speed fluctuates, where with the old firmware, i never once saw it change. what could be causing this change? as its screwing up my online gaming, causing me to lag when it drops way down. I never had a problem with the speed changing before, and cant find any setting that looks like it could be linked to such an event, though im no networking expert, so i may be missing something. what does anyone think of this problem? thanks.

google for a program called Network Stumbler. When it runs, you can see other
wifi systems near by and the real asset is the disclosure of all the channels in use.

pick a channel that is not used :)

monitor what activities you are performing when the connection rate changes;
it's likely that it only occurs when you're gaming. In that case, the stress of the
networked game is the actual cause of the rate change. :(

Ive been gaming over it for years with no fluctuations, and there is no interference at all, going to go back to my old router firmware when i get a chance and see if it still does it, as it didnt start doing this before i upgraded firmware, but im afraid if i go back to the old firmware i will still have my random disconnect problem, which is just as bad as the slow speed problem:( though the random disconnect problem just started a month or two ago, and it worked flawlessly before that problem occurred out of thin air. just cant win it seems.

For best results get a heavy duty packet and max connection/server router. Gaming and downloading just puts a heavy packet task on these weaker devices.

Best to use:

1. Wired Router (heavy duty type also one that's quicker than the rest)
2. Use your wireless Router as access point. (if it stop performing 100% replace it..)

Do they just stop working at peak efficiency? the one i have is only 4 months old, it used to work great with no problems. then out of nowhere comes the random disconnection, then i flash firmware, seems to fix the random disconnects, but now i have fluctuating speed. it really sux I really hope i shouldnt have to buy a new router every 4 months.

well...
it happen to me also
where the speed is fluctuate around 8Mb and 54Mb

the solution was much simpler
"Put my router in a high place"

as a result,
the speed now is between 48Mb and 52Mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back