With new sticks of RAM, WoW crashes still

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4gum99

ugh, hey guys. Update on the system, about 2 weeks ago I mailed out my faulty ram sticks, and yesterday I received the new ones. I slapped in the two new ones, took my working ones out, everything works fine. I opened up my system, plugged back the two working ones in the 3rd and 4th slots, load up the computer. As soon as i click wow, the login screen loads, no problem. I get in game, and two seconds in game I heard that *same* noise as when it was that other bad ram stick. Is this my motherboard now? I'm getting so frustrated I want to turn my computer into a computer repair shop so i don't have to deal with this, but I think it could only possibly be the Mobo. The weird thing is all the RAM is good, and the computer recognizes the 2 gigs, but something's messing up because why would WoW crash on more memory? the sticks are all good..

I just went back and read your old thread ;)

You used to have 4 sticks of 512mb ram, and discovered that 2 were faulty. So, you have been running with 2x512mb ram for a while without any problems, now your two replacement 512mb ram stick arived and when you try and run all four sticks your game is still freezing up on you. Am I up to date?

Just to confirm:

1. you say this ONLY happens in WoW? When you play other games, or other software you have NO crashes what-so-ever?
2. the previous two sticks passed ramtest without errors
3. you have the latest graphics card drivers
4. you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers
5. you have the game's latest patch (if there are any)

Also, can you please post your PSUs information? It is not in your profile. If all the above is true, this is the next bit of hardware I would look at. It is a possibility that when you pop in the additional ram it is putting your PSU over the edge. Gaming taxes all your components and tends to be when a PSU starts complaining. If you are using the PSU that came with your case (Aspire) then I would say this is an EXTREMELY high probability that this is your problem. Aspire PSUs are ..... to put it straight, complete trash.

Another possibility is that you need a bios update. Check your bios and see how many have been released since you last updated. Some motherboards have a hard time running with 4 sticks of ram, and bios updates may help.

I would also (just for your own information) take a look in your bios and see what frequency your ram is running at. You have a socket 939 based cpu, and many of them are not good at running with 4 sticks of ram. There is a good chance that your system is automatically underclocking your ram to 333Mhz once you install the additional 2 sticks. Have a look and see to confirm.

Yes, it's about a 80% chance that it's your PSU ( the other 20% is other hardware or the game itself )

Upgrade to this PSU because the one that comes with the case is like DonNagual said... Pieces of CRAP :haha:

Here is a real good PSU that will hold anything you hold at it and is very stable, Use in all my builds :D

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

Hope I helped :D
Also buy some compressed air from a computer store and clean out all the RAM slots and fans then make sure there is no build up of dust in your system :)

TimeParadoX, what's with all the 700w psu recommendations? :) That is an INSANE amount of power. Only people with 8800 graphics cards will need to consider that much horsepower.

Sure it is an amazing PSU, and sure it would also futureproof his system, I would even go so far as to say it is a great price. But with his current system I think that PSU is an overkill. No need to spend $150 on a psu for his specs.

This $50 power supply would be more than enough for his system and is a very high quality PSU.

lol @ my http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817255010

500w, i think i'm fine.
I just dled the latest chipset drivers, and I don't know if the ram is b eing underclocked, i'm about to ch eck that now. all my games crash, not just wow, to clear that up... sry. the patch also f**ked my game up more because there is now a known issue with my video card where my game wil randomly go off and my screen will turn crazy colors. That is a totally unrelated issue though, lol. the graphics driver's i've had installed, they are the latest. and yes the other ram was good. And there is not any dust in my system because it's spanking new, lol.

if you're not running your RAM at stock speed that could be the source of all your issues.

TimeParadoX, what's with all the 700w psu recommendations? That is an INSANE amount of power. Only people with 8800 graphics cards will need to consider that much horsepower.

:haha: it's the only PSU I have saved in my Firefox Bookmarks and I dont want to go on newegg and search ;)

Hey, sorry to hijack is thread but i have this PSU laying around in the box doing nothing, reason being is my Geforce 6600 says it needs a min power of 300w and my current psu is 250w, so i buy a new psu with 350w but then my games just crash all the time, swapped psu back and my games run fine!!

The psu that works with games is a stanard 250w with my Compaq.

The psu i brought is a Hiper 350w

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-3s350.html

Is it any good? Or did the guy at the shop rob me??

DonNagual said:
I just went back and read your old thread ;)

You used to have 4 sticks of 512mb ram, and discovered that 2 were faulty. So, you have been running with 2x512mb ram for a while without any problems, now your two replacement 512mb ram stick arived and when you try and run all four sticks your game is still freezing up on you. Am I up to date?

Just to confirm:

1. you say this ONLY happens in WoW? When you play other games, or other software you have NO crashes what-so-ever?
2. the previous two sticks passed ramtest without errors
3. you have the latest graphics card drivers
4. you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers
5. you have the game's latest patch (if there are any)

Also, can you please post your PSUs information? It is not in your profile. If all the above is true, this is the next bit of hardware I would look at. It is a possibility that when you pop in the additional ram it is putting your PSU over the edge. Gaming taxes all your components and tends to be when a PSU starts complaining. If you are using the PSU that came with your case (Aspire) then I would say this is an EXTREMELY high probability that this is your problem. Aspire PSUs are ..... to put it straight, complete trash.

Another possibility is that you need a bios update. Check your bios and see how many have been released since you last updated. Some motherboards have a hard time running with 4 sticks of ram, and bios updates may help.

I would also (just for your own information) take a look in your bios and see what frequency your ram is running at. You have a socket 939 based cpu, and many of them are not good at running with 4 sticks of ram. There is a good chance that your system is automatically underclocking your ram to 333Mhz once you install the additional 2 sticks. Have a look and see to confirm.

Update on that post:
1. No, I meant to clarify - it crashes all games, not just WoW
2. Yes the other 2 RAM sticks passed the memtest86 test
3. Yes, I've had the latest graphics drivers
4. I just DLed the latest Mobo Chipset Drivers, and it actually freaked me out... I DLed the drivers, rebooted, turned the comp off , and slapped the 2 ram sticks back in. It didn't work, so I turned it off andtook them out. This morning when I turned my comp on i got a screen saying overclocking failed, the system will restore to default settings...
5. Yes, I have the latest patch, and on a totally unrelated tangent, with this patch, the game messes up with my video card, the screen will go off occasionally and just turn crazy colors (hard to explain but that's just an issue with the game itself, nothing more)

Also, question.
Even though my PSU is 20$, the one you recommended has less power than my500w.... my friend actually picked out some stuff for me to save cash, but i don't know how it would mess up my system that much...

Also, that test has warnings slapped all over it saying I can lose data and such, i'm a little paranoid at the moment, this doesn't seem to promising to me... =/

Thanks so much for the input though, the PSU i would have never though of... hmm. The problem is still here though, LoL.

M4gum99 said:
Even though my PSU is 20$, the one you recommended has less power than my500w.... my friend actually picked out some stuff for me to save cash, but i don't know how it would mess up my system that much...

Yes it is true that the power supply I recommended to you has less wattage than your current power supply. However it is a MUCH better PSU than the one you have in there now.

Cheap power supplies are extremely unreliable. They send out uneven power to your system, and make OTHER parts of your computer appear as if they are not working, when in fact the only problem is, they are not getting solid power. That is why you can find $20 500w psus (like yours) and $150 450w Psus on the net.

It is like having a lamborghini and trying to run it on 10 year old lamp oil instead of high octane gas. lol. best analogy I could come up with ;)

I'll admit, there is a small chance that this is not your problem. We are simply troubleshooting here at this point. But that is the FIRST thing I would do, is get that door-stopper PSU out of your system as soon as possible.

It is like having a lamborghini and trying to run it on 10 year old lamp oil instead of high octane gas. lol. best analogy I could come up with

:haha: that's a weird analogy ;)

Well I agree with DonNagual, We are just seeing which part of the system is making WoW crash for you by looking at each part 1 by 1

thanks guys, yeah, it's annoying, but it's a work in progress. the thing is, i don't think i can get this power supply you recommended from like an office max (joke). If i order the one you reccomended, it'll take like forever to get here form newegg, and with my luck itll be in the california warehouse, shipping to me in NY, plus it's the holidays, lol. If this thread doesn't die I'll get another power supply and test it out... it might be that because the problem is stemming from the memory crashing the games.... it doesn't crash when i load up the comp because i'm not using much memory, so this whole theory makes sense...

Actualy, Newegg ships pretty fast... I ordered about 12 parts to build a computer and they all arrived in about 2 days ;)

Most people are stunned senseless by how fast Newegg can ship using just standard shipping. They are like no other.

my friend is goingf to lend me his 60 $ 450W PSU tomorrow, do you think that'll run my system, with what I have? This is my last ditch before I bring it to a computer repair store and get robbed, i can't take these problems anymore. also, this is more geared to peope who play wow, does anyone have a card similiar to mine or know of the issue with the patch that makes the game screen randomly shut off and weird colors just come on, until you just restart? my friend in the game researched it for me and said another dude was having similiar problems with the same card, but had no viable solution to the problem.

Personaly I dont play WoW because I think it sucks really bad ( No offense ) but I dont think a game patch would affect your whole system causing it to turn off or anything

I think your system will run fine with your friends PSU but dont take it to a computer shop because they'll make you pay like $200 for 5 minutes of looking at your system and saying "It's broken!" which... infact you already knew ;)

lol yah i know what you're saying , but idk it's stil not fixed. this may be me speaking too soon, his 450w cost about 60 $ so i hope the quality is there, otherwise i'm gonna get that 50 $ one that DonNagual recommended... if not, it's the mobo i guess. but the WoW thing is hard to explain. it doesn't crash my system, but occasionally while i'm playing it, the screen will just tun off, and be replaced by like crazy colors... at which point i hear something whirring like crazy inside my system, then I'll normally be able to "Switch User" really quick to rectify the problem... but I think this is just through the game, I'm gonna have to remember to call up WoW and complain. lol :p

Lol yes, Remember to say the same thing over and over then threaten to Sue... Blizzard will make you a brand new system ;)

When evaluating a power supply, don't just look at the wattage or even just how much it costs. Look also at the amps on the various rails, especially the +12V. What is the amperage ratings for this 450W psu?

Okay... scratch mostly everything about the power supply. I was just reading some of the 400+ user reviews on my mobo.. and to my disgust, i read over 10 + reviews saying 4 sticks of dual channel will not work in the mobo, AND that it limits my ram from 400 to 333 ( for some reason, probably my own fault by budgeting.). Is there any solution t o this p roblem? The problem is that I spent 200$ for 4 512mb sticks of dual chAnnel ram, and i think i'm over my 30 day thing for newegg. I know the ram company is not even based in the US, and i plpanned on buying some kingston dual channel 1gb sticks of ram, maybe to solve the problem. does anyone have input on this? also, let's say the 2gb dual channel works. how m uch slower is it than the 4 512 dual channel ram sticks... because i've heard that the 512's are faster when you put them in in place of 1gb sticks dual channel.

here's the ram i want to buy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134039

what is your mobo?

Does it use the old 184pin RAM?

When you put more sticks in ( each being 512mb ) it spreads out the... "Power" between them making them more useful then 1gig sticks

Also what you can do about the RAM you have now... You could either sell on Ebay, friend or someone else or build a new system with them ;)

Since you play only WoW save your money and only buy only 1 gig of RAM ( either 512mb x2 or 1gig x1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back