WM won't play WAV or WMA files ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

Going around in circles again!!

Installed a recorder that records into MP3.
So far, so good.

Then installed a converter that converts MP3 to WAV or WMA.
Still, so good.

But now WM won't play either the WAV or WMA file!?

NOW what??

Thanks

Where does it say nothing in Windows can be easy!?

The brand and model of the converter is...
The brand and model of recorder is...
The software you are using to play these files is...
Your antivirus, antispyware, and firewall are...
Your computer brand and model are...
The age of your equipment is...

Well, have found out that the converter requires something called
wfmdist.exe and that it is contained in WM 9.

When XP replaces an older OS, that is replaced, and that has been
identified as a flaw (or some such) in XP.

I like WM 10, so guess I'll have to find another audio downloader or
converter - the downloader only records in MP3.

That's what I love about Windows - so straightforward and
easy to use - just turn it on and it works (!?)

Ohhh, sorry, that's my wife's G5 Mac.

One of the worlds great mysteries is the poop on the easy working Macs... which are not easy working at all... much less so than the Windows machines, and the Intel machines... that are by reputation easy.
Studies show that new users have as much trouble with Mac OS as they do with Windows OS. Mac hardware failures are right up there with Windows failures.

But try to get parts for any Macintosh. On most models, you will severe difficulties getting the parts you need from Macintosh without paying list price, going online to Apple, or buying them from an Apple Store. Apple parts are significantly more costly.

About all you can say about MacIntosh computers is that the versions of Adobe photo editing, and design software work more easily and to a more exacting standard. But you pay handsomely for that "easy" creative software.

After having a variety of Macs at home over the last 10 years, then having to work extensively with Windows at work and building my own PC because of having to work with Windows at home also, I have to say that people that have trouble with learning Mac are just too used to Windows. Mac is more intuitive to someone learning an application as well as the OS itself. Windows should really be called Circles, because every move requires a new Window and after a number of moves a new user is usually totally confused because Windows hides things where there is often no clue at all where to look and after a succession of new windows opening one feels like you're just going around in Circles, all too often never arriving at or accomplishing what you set out to do.

I'm all too familiar with Windows, having fought with 98, SE, and now XP.
I spend an inordinate amount of time recovering from and trying to protect against security issues and unexplainable crashes, and trying to get different applications to work. Case in point is MP 10 with XP that deleted some type of operational file that was in WM 9 when XP was installed, so won't work with several different sound recorders, several of which additionally require a separate converter to get from one type of file to another so they'll play.

I have quite a monetary investment in security applications, spend hours scanning and researching, and still have totally lost 2 drives. I also had to spend over $1k on data recovery when XP totally crashed, as well as losing another nearly new drive.

In contrast, in a combined 16+ years of using Mac's in our family, incl 2 daughters, we have not had problem ONE with security and VERY seldom anything at all like total lockup, NEVER a meltdown, and extremely rarely even the commonly occurring lockup/restart BS I almost daily experience with Windows.

I work away from home and had no experience whatsoever with Mac OSX Tiger until I was home between jobs for a few weeks. Starting totally from scratch and without help, I was up and fully functional and trouble free in a variety of Mac applications literally within a short afternoon, a far cry from all the time I've spent fighting trying to get one thing after another to actually work in Windows. The Mac commercial with the bloated PC hits it right between the eyes!

Each to his own. But from an experienced user in both, there's NO comparison!

Even building what at the time was a nearly top shelf windows machine a couple years ago, and diligently shopping for components, I have more in mine especially when all the separate applications and necessary security protections are counted than my wife has in her iMac G5, and hers has comparable RAM, HD storage, a larger screen, and overall is faster.
And she has an equivalent software load but most of it was self contained in the Mac OS. I've got over a dozen top rated security applications in mine and still have occasional problems. She has ONE and it is so secure that she has done
all our banking and bill paying online with NO security problems for over 5 years. And we've never gotten a virus, been hacked, or gotten any other kind of spyware or malware in our combined 16 years of Mac use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back