Woman attacks boyfriend with katana for playing too much PUBG

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

An Oregon man is still recovering from wounds received during an attack by his sword-wielding girlfriend on March 3.

According to The Oregonian, Alex Lovell of Camas was sleeping when his live-in girlfriend, Emily Javier stabbed him. Lovell scrambled out of bed and struggled to fight off his attacker, nearly losing his fingers in the process.

Javier continued to attack until Lovell fell to the ground lifeless. At that point, she called 911 and surrendered to police. During her call with the dispatcher (listen below), she said she had attacked her boyfriend with a samurai sword. Once in custody, she told police that she had grown increasingly frustrated with Lovell because he was always playing video games and paid little attention to her.

Lovell admitted in an interview that he played PlayerUnknown’s Battleground for as much as 12 hours a day, but claims that he has aspirations to play professionally.

Javier said that the last straw occurred after she discovered he had the dating app Tinder installed on his phone. She also said that she had found red hairs in the shower that did not match hers or Lovell’s color. It was after this that she went to the mall and purchased the replica Japanese-style sword known as a katana with the purpose of stabbing him with it.

Lovell claims he did not have an affair, and that he had Tinder on his phone when he first met Javier but deleted it once they started dating. “I barely had time to hang out with my girlfriend, let alone another girl,” he said referring to his long hours playing PUBG. “Basically, she [Javier] was delusional.”

More than a week passed between the time Javier bought the sword and when the incident occurred. During that time she stewed in her anger and plotted revenge.

On March 2, Lovell came home from his day job as a bookkeeper and ignored her, so Javier put the sword and two knives taped together next to her side of their shared bed and waited for him to go to sleep.

According to court documents obtained by The Columbian, police stated, “Her plan was to kill her boyfriend and then herself.” However, she lost her nerve once she saw Lovell on the floor bleeding.

Javier pleaded not guilty to attempted murder charges and remains in jail with bail set at $350,000.

Lovell is still in the hospital recovering from his wounds and surgery to reattach his ring, middle, and index fingers which were sliced nearly through. In the meantime, his PUBG buddies have started a GoFundMe for him to help cover medical expenses. So far the campaign has raised $8,155 of its $10,000 goal.

Image courtesy Alex Lovell via Twitter

Permalink to story.

Ban assault swords.
Yes because they have been used so often to commit mass murder.
knives kill way more people than guns....
we live in a society where facts don't matter, give it a rest.

The simple minded term used to fool the weak minded is knives kill more people then RIFLES, rifles being the key word, in reality GUNS kill far more people the knives.....

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-20

Ban assault swords.

The simple minded term used to fool the weak minded is knives kill more people then RIFLES, rifles being the key word, in reality GUNS kill far more people the knives.....

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-20
Does it really matter? People kill other people, banning the tools doesn't solve the problem. If you ban the easiest form of murder people will just move on to the next in mass. I've always guessed if firearms became harder to get chemical would be the next one to show up. It's easy to get a loved one or groups of people using chemicals, and you can be miles away when it happens, learn peoples habits and you can be half way around the world by the time your murder takes place.

Ban assault swords.

Does it really matter? People kill other people, banning the tools doesn't solve the problem. If you ban the easiest form of murder people will just move on to the next in mass. I've always guessed if firearms became harder to get chemical would be the next one to show up. It's easy to get a loved one or groups of people using chemicals, and you can be miles away when it happens, learn peoples habits and you can be half way around the world by the time your murder takes place.

Yes! People kill people.... you hit the nail right on the head

Ban assault swords.

Australia, Great Britain, Japan, Switzerland, Norway, and pretty much every other 1st world country prove that gun laws work. This isn't up for debate, it's fact.

They are going to move to chemicals? Still much less deadly than guns. It's not something you can kill scores of people with at a distance. Carrying vials of nitric acid around with you would likely end up with you giving yourself severe chemical burn before you got to your target.

If banning the weapons doesn't work, why don't we just start selling tactical nukes? After all, it is your "right" to bear arms.

Australia, Great Britain, Japan, Switzerland, Norway, and pretty much every other 1st world country prove that gun laws work. This isn't up for debate, it's fact.

They are going to move to chemicals? Still much less deadly than guns. It's not something you can kill scores of people with at a distance. Carrying vials of nitric acid around with you would likely end up with you giving yourself severe chemical burn before you got to your target.

If banning the weapons doesn't work, why don't we just start selling tactical nukes? After all, it is your "right" to bear arms.
When has a missile been considered a rifle / pistol?
How do the bad guys get bombs over in Europe? Even though They are banned...

lol, one guy got a bomb compared to the weekly school shootings in America. Totally comparable :p

Oh yeah, murder still goes on even though it's banned, according to your logic we should just get rid of all muder laws. What you did is take a one off occurrence and compare to something common, aka shootings in America. The funny part is you could pick at least 10 other shootings in America just this year (and it's still a young year at that) that were worse than that bombing.

Also arms are defined as "weapons and ammunition; armaments."

If you are reading the constitution as it was written, nukes are clearly a weapon. Just thought I'd point out the silliness of interpreting a document that's over 200 years old as it's written. Clearly the 2nd amendment didn't take into account nuclear weapons or even the extremely deadly guns we have now. Guns should not be a right for every ***** yokel, they should only be given to those with proper training. It's a sham that it requires much more effort to get a car than it does to get a gun.

Last edited:

lol, one guy got a bomb compared to the weekly school shootings in America. Totally comparable :p

Oh yeah, murder still goes on even though it's banned, according to your logic we should just get rid of all muder laws. What you did is take a one off occurrence and compare to something common, aka shootings in America. The funny part is you could pick at least 10 other shootings in America just this year (and it's still a young year at that) that were worse than that bombing.

Also arms are defined as "weapons and ammunition; armaments."

If you are reading the constitution as it was written, nukes are clearly a weapon. Just thought I'd point out the silliness of interpreting a document that's over 200 years old as it's written. Clearly the 2nd amendment didn't take into account nuclear weapons or even the extremely deadly guns we have now. Guns should not be a right for every ***** yokel, they should only be given to those with proper training. It's a sham that it requires much more effort to get a car than it does to get a gun.

The constitution also didn't take into account electronic communication and global communication. The first amendment is responsible for a far greater degree of bloodshed as a catalyst compared to the 2nd which is extremely minor in comparison. If someone wants to take away my self-defense and sporting rifles they can also start jotting down their crappy opinions on pieces of paper and we can call it good.

one guy got a bomb compared to the weekly school shootings in America.

Oh yeah, murder still goes on even though it's banned, according to your logic we should just get rid of all muder laws.

What? School shootings are not weekly? Not even close. Not even monthly. Unless you get your news from CNN which counts people committing suicide near a school (and not shooting anyone else) a "school shooting."

Your murder point argues stronger for the other side. No one is arguing that laws against murder don't stop crime. However, if someone is willing to violate murder laws (the most strongly punished of all crimes), will another law stop them? No. Someone who has decided to commit murder has already chosen to violate the law.

I know statistics aren't what people want to hear, but children are still very safe at schools. They are much more likely to die in a car accident than be shot at school. In fact school violence has decreased significantly since the early 1990's, contrary to what the media would lead you to believe. Hey, school shootings sell ad space, gotta make that dollar!

But, I'm sure all this will fall on deaf ears. It doesn't fit the narrative of "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" If I can stress one point, please always use caution when a group wants you to make a decision with your heart instead of your brain. Salesman do it, the media does it and politicians do it, but it will often bite you.

So ..... when do the march's begin against all women that swear, curse, beat their BF's and husbands? Lets be sure THEIR careers are ruined, that they become a social pariah and have no friends!

Don't argue 2A on the Internet. Just go out and buy an AR-15. They're cheaper than GPUs.

Edit, protip: Don't bring up bombs. Nobody talks about bombs. Bombs aren't sexy. The AK-47s used in the Paris attack which are illegal throughout the region are sexy AF, though. As are all the illegal guns used to slaughter people in South America.

The constitution also didn't take into account electronic communication and global communication. The first amendment is responsible for a far greater degree of bloodshed as a catalyst compared to the 2nd which is extremely minor in comparison. If someone wants to take away my self-defense and sporting rifles they can also start jotting down their crappy opinions on pieces of paper and we can call it good.

Founders didn't anticipate fake news. Therefore, we must place restrictions on what can be said on the internet.

I like this game.

Sounds like he still has feelings for her.
I worked 911 for almost 20 years. It would just frustrate the crap out of me, when I took a garden
variety domestic, guy/girl, guy beating the crap out of the woman, look up the address history,
see multiple calls for the same thing.
9 times out of 10, they keep going back to the same situation, even though they are given the numbers to contact, or, are taken to a shelter.
"But I love (him/her)...I just want them to stop beating me. Then, they get mad sometimes, when we
haul them off to jail.
Sad...but that's how it goes sometimes. Use to see at some point, a serious injury or death would result when they kept going back.

Really?? All this talk about unrelated things and no one noticed:
Javier continued to attack until Lovell fell to the ground lifeless
So was he reanimated?? It doesn't appear as he died.

No, but it makes it harder. If people need to go to more effort to kill, fewer will. You don't say 'toddlers will manage to find something to hurt themselves with, so I'll just leave these thumbtacks lying around'.

Hasn't made it harder for criminals in Chicago or Brazil or Oakland or Mexico.

No, but it makes it harder. If people need to go to more effort to kill, fewer will. You don't say 'toddlers will manage to find something to hurt themselves with, so I'll just leave these thumbtacks lying around'.
No it just makes it harder for the good guys to protect themselves. Bad guys already dont care about the law.

There is a difference with your logic and what's real. You want to take away a choice in this case being able to protect ones self. Your comparison to children and tacks to guns is silly. Is it illegal for a parent to leave a tack out in your home? And should we even think about making laws inside a persons home like that? Noooo

Back