Won't setup windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a desktop pc with asus P4VP-MX mobo, 512 mem (new), that uses the Win XP Pro SP2 OS. The Hard drive crashed and I bought a new seagate 80G but when I install the same OS I got this error message: c0000221 unknown hard error\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll. I don't know if any of you guys have encountered this problem? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Aster

Is your new hard drive SATA or PATA (EIDE)? If it's SATA, you will have to install the SATA/RAID controller drivers for your motherboard. Near the beginning of the XP installation process, you will be given an opportunity to install third party drivers by pressing F6. That's when you install them.

You have to have a floppy drive and the necessary drivers on a floppy disk for this to work, otherwise you will have to slipstream it on a CD. I have never had to slipstream so I don't know how to do it myself but google for it and you will find instructions.

It's an IDE HDrive

Hi.
Thanks for the quick reply. My hard drive is still an IDE. In fact, I tried to put a similar hard drive like the former HD that crashed thinking that it's an HD problem, but the error message is the same. I also changed the IDE cable but to no avail.
Thanks,
Aster

Did you set the jumper setting on the back of drive the same as the old one?

Got it!

Hi.
Yes I did set the HD jumper. The same result.
But I tried to use another computer to setup winXP and it worked. I transfered the HD after setup to the computer where I received the error message and It worked perfectly. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back