Won't start after Defrag...PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitmanAngel2k3

I've installed 2 new HDDs.---> HDDs

After installing those 2 new HDDs, I did defragmentation on the system and then my PC crashed and now when I boot it up again it says that

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at teh first screen to start repair."

When I switch it over to boot from CD-ROM, it says that:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Can someone please help me out and tell me what is going on or what I might've screwed up.

Thank you in advance.

did you set the cd-rom as 1st boot
if so check the bios system reset drive to auto for cd-rom, if not already
if you dont get a prompt to boot from cd the drive may be going the disc needs cleaned or your bios is not seeing the cd-rom
simple test remove all the hdd's and see if bios and or the machine boots from the disc

This might warrant a memory test: www.memtest.org

Drive data is read and cached in memory. If your memory has issues, it can look like a bad hard drive. This is the best explaination I have for both your drive and your CD's 'missing HAL' problem... Although it sounds like a huge coincidence.

\windows\system32\config\system is part of your Windows registry. This is very sensitive to memory errors, but can also be caused by software issues. However, the fact you cannot read hal.dll while booting from your install disc is cause for concern - this is almost definitely a hardware issue.

Let us assume for a moment that your registry issue is caused by software. A copy is stored in C:\WINDOWS\repair, which you may be able to restore manually if 'Last Known Good Configuration' is not working for you. But again, if your hardware is screwed up, this will do you little good.

Let us assume the problem is memory for a moment. I would try removing all of your memory modules and trying each one individually. Test it out by attempting to boot from your Windows install disc. If it doesn't work, then there's another problem. If one of the modules work, then we know you've got a memory problem. You can also use the memory test listed above as an alternative to cracking open your system, although trial and error should give you the most accurate results. :)

I've hooked up all 4 HDDs to controller card, but now PC won't even start, could it be a bad PSU...I got JPAC 500W Power supply...is it enough to power up 4 HDDs, ATI 9600 AGP video card, 1 CD-rw, 1 dvd-rw, and 3 extra fans?

HitmanAngel2k3 said:
I've hooked up all 4 HDDs to controller card, but now PC won't even start, could it be a bad PSU...I got JPAC 500W Power supply...is it enough to power up 4 HDDs, ATI 9600 AGP video card, 1 CD-rw, 1 dvd-rw, and 3 extra fans?

A 200 watt power supply could power all your stuff... The controller card must be bootable and it must be present in the bios, under boot devices, and selected

-=Bump It Up=-

Thanks SNG1275, I've disconnected those 2 new HDDs and PC booted up right away, but then I reconnected 2 new HDDs and system booted up also, so I think I'm going to order another PSU...maybe like 600W.

Also, I followed with what other ppl on here said and connected all 4 HDDs to controller card, BUT in the BIOS, it is not selectable to boot up from, but when system boots up it says that card is present and that system detects 4 HDDs and "press F3 to set up 1st set of HDDs" and when I start selecting...it only lets me select one 1 HDD and then it restarts and STILL says that HAL is corrupted, even when I set BIOS to boot up from CD-ROM, it still says that HAL.DLL is corrupted and new one needs to be installed. I tried taking out memory out and testing 1 stick @ a time, but still says same thing "HAL.DLL is corrupted".

Also, adding some pictures of the screens that appear before everything stops:

So how can I fix up the HAL.DLL when it won't even let me boot up from CD-ROM? *sad*

-If I can't boot from PCI card, then what do I do? Do I connect main drives back through mobo, and run 2 new ones from PCI card?

-Also, about the whole not booting up thing...it won't accept anything even after I go into BIOS to change to boot from cd-rom, it goes straight into that blank screen "HAL is corrupted" :mad: anybody else got suggestions?

HI

HAL is corrrupted... HAL Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Your PC is NOT booting from the CD drive, this may be because your Bootable disk is faulty, the CD is not set as a master, or some need to be set to Cable select, try it as the only device with no HD connected until you get it to boot, you should see a message saying "press a key to boot from CD"

Regards

HitmanAngel2k3 said:
Should I connect HDDs while PC is on and in that blue screen where its asking me to Repair Windows?

No... connecting things to the IDE controller while power is on can damage the motherboard. In fact, it is always better to shut down the computer when changing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back