Worm hits Windows-based ATMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Automated teller machines at two banks running Microsoft's popular Windows software were infected by a computer virus in August, the maker of the machines said Monday.

The ATM infections, first reported by SecurityFocus.com, are believed to be the first of a computer virus wiggling directly onto cash machines.

Read more: CNet News.

So funny, now ATM's are having problem with a virus. What come's next? Well it you could have aspected it, ATM's are old computers like 486 running software. And if the software is windows then your asking for trouble.

Greets Crazy,

hehe thats funny tha an ATM was hit by a worm. Even more hilariousof the fact that amn ATM is run by windows.:haha:

this is why i said in the other thread that i wouldnt want my cell phone to be runnin windows. anything windows is gonna have holes, specially things that arent often patched.

This can't be a good thing. I sure hope I don't use one of those machines that has been hit, as I'm sure it can't be a good thing to input your account number into a machine that has been infected with a virus.

Diebold switched from using IBM's OS/2 on its ATMs because banks were requesting Windows, said Steve Grzymkowski, senior product marketing manager at Diebold.

"They have been asking us to ship ATMs with Windows because of the graphics capabilities. They want a common look between the ATMs and Web banking sites," he said. "Another advantage is they are familiar with Windows."

Yeah, graphics is far more important than reliability. Who cares if people can hack into ATMs and get our money as long as the UI looks good.

This is nuts! Air Canada is already seeking a buyer because of recent bankruptcy and ANY problem is not good for them, and Bank of America being hit too, among other places. What's going to happen in the future when we have more critical machines and systems being run by Microsoft's buggy software? Microsoft has released hundreds and hundreds of patches since XP came out a while back. Just look at Techspot's headlines every month and you will always find at least one headline about a new hole/potential problem/expoitation that a hacker could use to abuse the software, that Microsoft has found. What makes us think the future Windows won't be any different? They probably could do all they can to block hackers but where there's will, there will always be a way.

In terms of using alternatives to Windows, why not use Lindows? Or any other OS that has visuals similar to MS Windows?
The company's excuses were :

"They have been asking us to ship ATMs with Windows because of the graphics capabilities. They want a common look between the ATMs and Web-banking sites"

Now, here is a screenshot of a Lindows desktop:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-07/img2/report_03.jpg

I see too many similarities with Windows. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say it WAS MS Windows.

Here in Sweden our ATMs are Win98 based... They are really slow also, and the keyboards are crappy, you really have to push the buttons really slow so the machine gets it (and the man behind you sees it) otherwise it wont take all presses...

I've even seen a few BSODs... ;-)

However I dunno about viruses in them, these machines are protected with very good firewalls, atleast here in Sweden

And neither are the ATMs connected to the internet as far as I'm aware

They would have to be connected to the internet to be able to tell you how much money you have available or left in your account. Otherwise what would stop you from withdrawing 500 dollars, when all you have is 20?

Events like these are inevitable.

So are viruses on your mobile phone, and also firewalls for PDAs because of hacking or viruses from nearby PDAs over wireless, etc....

ITS ALL COMING!

Crazy

I make sure to install some kind on mcafee or norton on my debit card before i go to my bank and withdraw any money. :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back