Worst game ending? (Spoilers, duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS | Thomas

You ever happened to play a really good (or bad) game only to find the Game was completely let down by its ending?
For me the most disappointing one I've come across is Medal of honor allied assault. I feel ripped off by the ending to it.
Jump onto a train, a ranger says something. The end.
WHAT!!!
Made perhaps even worse by the timing of the last save point, take about frustration at where you have to start.

The Area 51 levels in Deus Ex were pathetic compared to rest of the game, ending videos were OK though.

Read Alert 2: see a fat gut getting caught in his underwear?
Quake 2: see the development team?

Doom 2: see the monsters die one by one?

as i was saying...

Originally posted by Ai Hate

and the ending sucks! you just jump on the train and... THE END!?
com'on! why can't they torture their brain cells a bit more and come up with a summary of the war or stuff like that!?
just like Ghost Recon... it's like "oh yeah! the game's finished! lets just put up 'THE END', show the credits screen and go out to have some beer!" :puke:

it's not that bad, but it just doesn't reward the player for spending days to finish the game. when it's finished, i go "huh? it's finished???"
endings don't have to be some classy CG movie, just sth to wrap up the whole story...
from all the games i played, Ghost Recon and MOH:AA are the games with the worst endings (but the gameplay is very good).

Wasn't this already a thread or a subject ? Seems like we just covered this last week ?? Anyway, Even though I liked the game, I thought the ending to Wolfenstein was a bit lame. They could have done better. Doesn't it seem as though some game makers put all their effort into the meat of the game then they must get burned out and put a bad ending in. I also disliked the ending to Half-life.

Yeah that was the "worst game" thread.
Half-Life, yeah bit of an iffy ending there too.
The best thing about the Area 51 levels I thought were the vats. I kinda freaked out when I noticed one was empty, for a while I wa a bit nervous about going further into the level as I assumed I'd have to face the guy, then I realised that I was the guy ;)

Originally posted by svtcobra
I have rarely finished a game..I lose interest way to quick most of the time.

Concurr... there were a large number of games I never got to the end of because I got bored after a while.....

I guess one of the bad ones was Tomb Raider IV - Lara dies..... But she's in the movie!!?!?

Originally posted by Phantasm66

Concurr... there were a large number of games I never got to the end of because I got bored after a while.....

I guess one of the bad ones was Tomb Raider IV - Lara dies..... But she's in the movie!!?!?

I had Janes ATF a long time ago, never did play it except on rare occations. It was dang hard to fly any mission. I still have the floppies and manual for it. Anyone want it. It reeks !!

IMO, most of the FPS endings are really horrible. Having finished MOHAA, C&C Renegade and RtCW recently, all 3 really blow at the ending...

Now that I think back...Tony Hawk Pro Skater had a weak ending. A video of a few tricks that went wrong and that was basically it.

Originally posted by svtcobra
Now that I think back...Tony Hawk Pro Skater had a weak ending. A video of a few tricks that went wrong and that was basically it.

Amazing! You actually finished that game! :) I got stucked at the 2nd or 3rd level where you have to skate around in a school... Grr....

Originally posted by lokem

Amazing! You actually finished that game! :) I got stucked at the 2nd or 3rd level where you have to skate around in a school... Grr....

The school does stink..The wall grinding to hit the bell had me hung up for awile but I struggled through it.

Any game that basically results in a list of credits....that's about as lame as it gets:
MOHAA
RTCW
Deus Ex

I liked the dual ending in Half-Life. I can't really think of ANY other games with a good ending...

Originally posted by Elcarion
Any game that basically results in a list of credits....that's about as lame as it gets:
MOHAA
RTCW
Deus Ex

Wow, even Deus Ex's ending is that bad eh? Sad, really sad. Those game devs must have spent their time from the beginning till the middle of the game and then from there on, they started to rush to finish the games and ended up with half baked endings...

Originally posted by Elcarion
I can't really think of ANY other games with a good ending...

Baldurs Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal presumably has a great ending - fitting a truly epic trilogy. BUT I can't tell as I'm stuck in the really tough ENDBOSS fight. And that is my problem with games - I despise übertough endings. Usually I switch to GOD-mode (first time I played Quake II etc) which isn't fun. Or I just don't bother, which is frustrating in it's own right as I've put in days/weeks into the game and stop just short of the end (System Shock II etc).
It's like going to see a really long great film, but the end is just impossible to watch so you leave the theatre 10 minutes before it ends.
An endboss is just a pathetic excuse for a smart and thoughtout closure.
MOHAA had it all - a frustratingly tough endfight followed by a really lame ending.

Metal Gear Solid 2 with lots of "You should live your life to the full"
"Life is what you make of it". And this sort of rubbish goes on with video and game footage for about 15 minutes :zzz:
The rest of the game is sheer class, just the ending lets it down ;)

Endbosses...eugh. I have disliked the concept my entire life... Too bad i cant think of an alternative. THe way i see it, the only ways to make an enemy tougher, is to make it stronger/faster/deadlier or to make it smarter. Now smarter isnt really gonna happen for a long while. AI isnt upto standards to be able to emulate the difference between rookies and masters. so the only option left is to make a really huge guy that can survive hit upon hit of an RPG...

It does make for a spectacular ending, though. If there werent any, a game would just kinda end. and that would be no fun.

Worst ending i have encountered:
Half-life: The whole ZEN bit, IMHO ruined it completely
Deus EX: The very last bit, with the choices, was a bit silly. An interesting idea, but completely pointless
RtCW: This is not boasting, but i killed the endboss in my FIRST GO and i was on nearly 100% health too. it was possably the easiest boss i've ever fought. The first ubersoldat was waayyy harder.
STV:EF: THis was a complete dissapointment from the start

Endings i liked:
Quake3: Ok, it didnt really have a storyline, but the last cinematic make me smile.
Max Payne: the way the ending is the beginning was cool

I thought Deus Ex's were pretty decent, least there were 4 of them anyway ;)

Final Fantasy 7 I thought was pretty poor, it ended & me & my friend sat there watching this like windows screensaver which played after this "500 years later" I think it was. Arrrgh. Sat there ages & nothing.
What made it worse is that the game was great until it got near the end.
I mean, by the end you discover that your character is basically a loser who made up a fake past for himself.
That said I thought the best part of the Games was Arris's death. Just the FMV playing, then the marble bouncing & the music, then the fight. Excellent.

Anachronox had some great cutscenes too I thought. Pretty darn funny game & good too.

Ugh, don't remind of the original Playstation Tomb Raider... After you're done with the FINAL boss, you run out of the pyramind when it's collapsing then ride away on a boat?! Pfft... Trust me, I don't want to play that game ever again with such a terrible ending. After all of the dumb configurations are learning curves, that's what you get?! At least Tomb Raider 2 ending was much better than the first. Hehe. It's pretty cool.

:grinthumb

Farewell.

Originally posted by 3DSThomas
That said I thought the best part of the Games was Arris's death. Just the FMV playing, then the marble bouncing & the music, then the fight. Excellent.

I died? When? Have I been unwittingly been playing against you in multiplayer online games?

I remember the days when games like pac-man simply had high-scores. There was no such thing as an end, just sore fingers and thumbs from trying to keep up with the infinitely increasing difficulty level ;)

Originally posted by XYZ359
Ugh, don't remind of the original Playstation Tomb Raider... After you're done with the FINAL boss, you run out of the pyramind when it's collapsing then ride away on a boat?! Pfft... Trust me, I don't want to play that game ever again with such a terrible ending. After all of the dumb configurations are learning curves, that's what you get?! At least Tomb Raider 2 ending was much better than the first. Hehe. It's pretty cool.
Tomb Raider... ahh yes, what an amazing Game that was. Got it based on a friend recommending it & it was the best thing ever. The Waterfall, the Dinosaur, gee that was scary. Then when you realise what you see at the start was the bad, err girl. Fantastic.
I gave up with the second game which wasn't as good.

They should have just re-released Tomb Raider with completely updated Graphics. That would be just fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back