Would Increasing RAM to 2GB Help with Speed of Photo Using Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compaq Presario with Pentium 2.93 Ghz CPU, 1 Gb RAM, and 160 Gb hard drive using Windows XP Home sp2.

I have over a thousand photos on my computer. I sell on eBay and the photos are stored until an item sells. When I open my photo software it is getting a little slower than it used to be. And my auction program is really getting slow the more auctions and photos I put in it. My business is doubling so I wanted to see what I could do to help speed.

I still have 2/3 of my hard drive free. I did all of the basic cleanup stuff and defragging helped the overall performance of my computer. Eliminated a lot of unneccessary junk in the configsys startup. Expanded the virtual memory to 4000 mb. But my main 2 programs I use are still slow.

Would it be good to add 1 Gb of RAM? Would it help my problem with so many photos at all or would I just be wasting my money?

Thanks,
Blake

It may help, but, a faster hard drive would make more difference.
I noticed that, when I added 1GB of RAM, and it didn`t improve too much the PC, only in games. And then I changed the hard drive to a faster, 7200 RPM 8MB cache drive,and it`s WAY faster now.

adding memory doesn't help much over 1gb except in some games.
under 1gb it helps a lot.

photos are hard drive intensive. A faster HD is the best bet.

There is no significant difference between 1gb and 2gb of RAM. Generally the best way to upgrade pc is by upgrading processor.

Regards,

Korrupt

He already has a fast CPU. A 2.93 P4 is a fast CPU for photos.

All you need to do is defragment periodically your hard drive, or get a faster drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back