Would you classify this as a high end system?

How good is my system?

• Total voters

korrupt

The other day I was asked if I was building a high end system, unfortunately I really dont know!

My question is, would you classify the following system as a high end system.

Intel Core 2 duo processor e6400 (overclocked to 3.3GHZ)
Intel BLKDP965LTCK Motherboard
2gb (2 x 1gb) pc6400 RAM
Antec Sonata II case
Antec Smartpower 450Watt PSU
Gigabyte 7600gt Silent Pipe II
2 x 250gb SATAII 7200RPM 8mb Cache Western Digital Caviar
2 x Dual layer 16x DVD burner
Panasonic Floppy Drive
Some expensive soundcard (not excactly sure)

Thats it...

Any replies would be appreciated

Regards,

Korrupt

I'd consider it a mid to upper range PC. It would really depend on the use. If you're looking for a high-end game PC, then you would need a much better video card or an SLI/Crossfire setup.

I agree with JMMD. Video card and PSU kind of keep it from truly being high-end - today anyway.

It's only got one CPU and a generic hard drive setup, so it's most certainly not anything "high" by my standards :)

It still absolutely rapes your system judging from the system specs in your profile:D

Regards,

Korrupt

Really? So can you take your system with you everywhere you go?
Or does it run NetBSD with SCSI?

No, I cannot take it everywhere I go. Thats what my laptop is for. I dont even know what NetBSD with SCSI is. My point was merely that it was unnecesary to subtly say that my system is crap, especially since I just spend $1500 building it.

Regards,

Korrupt

Nodsu said:
It's only got one CPU and a generic hard drive setup, so it's most certainly not anything "high" by my standards :)

Ditto.......

For clarification.....nobody's calling your system "crap". It's well above average, but by today's standards and the availability of high-end components, it's far from what I'd call "cutting-edge".

It's an above-average system and the best part is, u wouldn't need too much cooling due to the CPU being a cool-running one and the graphics card having a passive-cooling option. However, I wouldn't call I high-end, since it seems limited mainly by the lack of a second\or more powerful graphics card. Throw a 7900GT in there and it would be instantly promoted to a high-end system. Also, why not try a RAID0 setup with those drives? I'm 100% sure it would be much faster than ur current setup.
@Nodsu, it's a dual-core system and in any case, it is very capable of running anything you throw at it. So no demeaning please. He's just trying to know how good it is.

Hum.. The question was whether the system is "high end" or not and that "Any replies would be appreciated".

I said that the system is not high end. What is the problem?

Should the thread have been called "Reply only if you think my rig is a totally awesome dream machine"?

Korrupt said:
The other day I was asked if I was building a high end system, unfortunately I really dont know!

My question is, would you classify the following system as a high end system.
That warrants a more polite reply than the one u posted.

I would consider it a high end system. here's why...

Many of us are PC enthusiasts and tend to compare everything to whatever is the best. but IMO it really should be compared to the average Joe's Dell/HP/Etc. pc (with lets say a P4/celeron and integrated graphics). that is why I consider it a high end system.

the CPU and video card are not the best out there, but they are still much better than what most people have "under the hood".

just my 2 cents ;)

I don't care if mine is faster than what most people have under the hood - as long as it's faster than everyone's computers that I know IRL :)

korrupt said:
No, I cannot take it everywhere I go. Thats what my laptop is for. I dont even know what NetBSD with SCSI is. My point was merely that it was unnecesary to subtly say that my system is crap, especially since I just spend $1500 building it.

Regards,

Korrupt

I would like to see that add up to 1500$, i know its not that much lol. Dont lie!

e6400 cpu: $235 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004)
Intel BLKDP965LTCK Motherboard: $119.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121035)
2gb (2 x 1gb) pc6400 RAM: $342 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145038)
Antec Sonata II case: $89.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155)
Antec Smartpower 450Watt PSU: See above
Gigabyte 7600gt Silent Pipe II: $169.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025)
2 x 250gb SATAII 7200RPM 8mb Cache Western Digital Caviar: $159.98 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136055)
2 x Dual layer 16x DVD burner: $57.98 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136092)
Panasonic Floppy Drive: $10

that is $1184.93 by my calculations.

Add my monitor and youre sitting on $1400. Keep in mind that things here in Australia are more expensive so thats $1500.

Thank you KingCody. This was the kind of reply I was after.

Regards,

Korrupt

I would definitely call it a high end system, for the same easons as King Cody. Sure, its not the best out there, but high end doesnt mean the best, it just means very up-to-date, which your definetily is.

Well, i'm running on and Athlon XP 2400 ad a Radeon 9800Pro, so to me, virtually any new system is high end.

COngrats on your kick-*** rig.

Be Nice

F1N3ST said:
I would like to see that add up to 1500$, i know its not that much lol. Dont lie!

Tough crowd Korrupt, I come from Perth too and I now just how expensive
it is here too purchase these items in $AU.
(Not to forget Overseas markets also get the latest and greatest releases before Australia.)

C'mon People, Korrupt is proud of his machine.
(as he should be, cos its way better than average.)

I'm sure some of your mothers told you,
"If you have'nt got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I would'nt mind swapping computers with Korrupt.
I am getting married in October and my fiance is expecting in March.
(No $$$$$ for PC, Bigger fish to fry. eg: Fiance's Ring = $2000.AU, etc.)

Hey Korrupt, dont be disappointed, I think your Machine is "Purdy Hot Dang!" IMO.

Cheers, Daveo

Round of applause for Daveo, I think everything there was true.

And by the way, congratulations on your upcoming marriage

I agree with Rage, King & Finchy - very nice system and I would call it high end. Sometimes I think high end and cutting edge get confused. Your new system is not cutting edge, but then why would you want to pay that much extra for small gains? Again, a very nice high end system you are throwing together and I'm jealous. If you look at my profile you will see why. I used to have a nice laptop, but the soon to be ex got that and I got the old machine. Still works great, though.

And the advantage with it not being cutting edge is at least it runs properly and is stable (ive probably just jinxed it and it will now bsod continually!! Only joking).

A friend made the mistake of getting a dual core when they first came out and had no end of trouble 'till the mobo manufacturer came up with drivers that actually worked.

I think its all been said in previous posts, but for me, its pretty much high for anyone i know, especially since you're on of the first people in my circle that has a Core 2..

D-day

Finchy said:
Round of applause for Daveo, I think everything there was true.

And by the way, congratulations on your upcoming marriage, when are you guys gonna 'tie the knot'

:grinthumb Thanks Finchy, supposed to get married in January 2007 but found out I got my fiance "Up the Duff":p (oops!)
So dates been moved up to 28th October 2006, before the baby bump happens.:eek:

Cheers, Daveo

Can I ask a question: If you look at My Profile, you'll see that I filled out the System #1 and System #2 specs. Based on that info, What type of system is System #1, and what type of system is System #2?

Back