WOW restarting: memory or cooling issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ev0l

never had so many problems with a game

but after i FINALLY got it installed, i've been getting quits to desktop w/ a memroy error notice or a hard restart of my computer.

now i just bought some new 400mhz drr (1gig) memory, so i hate to go and buy more, but i may have to .

ive got an msi k7n2 delta 2 MOBO. i've read that some nforce2 mobo's have stability issues w/ 400mhz ram.

however it seems that everytime i change something (like fan speed (or add a fan as i did for my video card, or change the memory voltage, it seems to work fine for a day or so.

why would changing these things work for a couple days then quit. would it fall back on the memory? im going to upgrade my processors fan. but my last attempt is trying out two sticks of 512 333mhz drr strips which would set me back.

i guess finally it could be my HD, but i hope not.

anyone got any tips on how to monitor my temp, i've never used a program to do this so i'm not familiar as to which one is the most accurate.
or any other tips i may be missing would be greatly appreciated

Speedfan from the techspot downloads section can monitor temps for you, it can also show psu voltages.
Msi also do their own monitoring software thats pretty good.

What wattage psu are you using? And any recent upgrades that may coincide with your problem?

my processor is currently set to the default in BIOS (doesnt say what voltage it is)

my system is a rebuild of one i built about 5 years ago that had a burnout of the motherboard(capacitor burned up).

its all been replaced at about the same time, latest addition was a new power supply (500 watts) but i also upgraded the graphics card (geforce 6600 gt) and memory (1 gig ddr 400 mhz)

i'm going to monitor the temp for awhile and see if anything is getting out of whack in that area, but if not i guess its the RAM

ev0l said:
never had so many problems with a game

but after i FINALLY got it installed, i've been getting quits to desktop w/ a memroy error notice or a hard restart of my computer.

now i just bought some new 400mhz drr (1gig) memory, so i hate to go and buy more, but i may have to .

ive got an msi k7n2 delta 2 MOBO. i've read that some nforce2 mobo's have stability issues w/ 400mhz ram.

however it seems that everytime i change something (like fan speed (or add a fan as i did for my video card, or change the memory voltage, it seems to work fine for a day or so.

why would changing these things work for a couple days then quit. would it fall back on the memory? im going to upgrade my processors fan. but my last attempt is trying out two sticks of 512 333mhz drr strips which would set me back.

i guess finally it could be my HD, but i hope not.

anyone got any tips on how to monitor my temp, i've never used a program to do this so i'm not familiar as to which one is the most accurate.
or any other tips i may be missing would be greatly appreciated

You said you added new hardware!!! You're PSU may not have enough power.

Also never mix brands and different speeds of ram!!! That's probably you're problem right there.

well i've got an 520 watt master power (antec) power supply, i hope thats not cutting it short.

i've only got one stick of ram, i'm not mixing anythig. ineed i'll be more careful in the future though. next time i build a PC i'm gonna do a lot more research on it, i didn't realize there were so many conflicts between components.

nonsense. I have the same motherboard. Some of the newer Athlon XP chips are locked. Set your BIOS so it is NOT in dynamic overclock mode. Set your FSB to 400 otherwise it defaults to 402.

I assume you have the XP 3200+

if you dynamic overclock, it will lead to instability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back