Wrong resolution on 2nd monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradient

I've been using a widescreen monitor as a second display for my laptop, which until recently has been working fine. Since I reinstalled XP, it has refused point blank to recognise the correct resolution (1680x1050 at 60Hz). The nearest choices I'm given are 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. I've tried using Refresh Force, but either I'm not using it correctly or it still won't display at the correct resolution. Ultramon has also turned up nothing. All the relevant drivers are up to date; the graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9700, if that's any help. Any ideas?

What happens when you switch ports, moving each monitor to the other port?
What do you see in your Display settings?
If it is a flat panel monitor, we have seen a number of them lose their higher resolutions, while keeping their lower ones. You need to replace the system board of the monitor to fix that aspect.

So it worked before reinstalling XP? How much different version of XP? Did you go, for instance to Pro from Home? Suggest you reinstall again, but make sure the wide-screen monitor is active (primary display) at the installation time.

I'm still on the same version of XP Home. It is an LCD monitor and only a few months old; I'd really rather not reinstall again, but I suppose I may have to. Thing is, I can't remember exactly if I had it working after the reinstall, only to have it subsequently go wrong. I've needed to move the laptop about quite a bit, which means I had to stop using the monitor at times. I tried repairing Windows and I reinstalled all the display drivers, but it didn't change anything.

Anyway to try your graphics card in another computer. That seems likely cause of the problem. Alternately you might try an earlier version of the driver, not the most recent.... and be sure the drive in question is disabled or removed before the next driver is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back