WTH happened now??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones

Hey,

OK, where should I start. I was playing a game today and my computer restarted. So, after rebooting I started playing the game and once again my computer restarted. So, I figured I would give it a break for a while.

So, I was looking through some of my CDs and saw the one I bought that had PC BOOSTER on it. I had used it before(with no problems), but not on my new computer. So, I installed it, and after installing it required a reboot, so I did this.

Now, on start up the just as the blue screen comes up that says windows(Windows XP Home), I started getting a whole slew of errors, basically all saying that certain files could not be saved and where therefore to be deleted and saved else where due to a hardware or network connection problem. They were all kinds of files, including what appeared to be system files. After clicking ok, to about 15-20 errors, it eventually loads to the desktop, but it is extremely slow, and continues to bring up the errors, until eventually giving me the warning that the computer is going to shutdown and it counts down from 60secs.

The items on the desktop do not even load their icons, and I cannot access the start menu or anything else on that tool bar because it is so slow at loading. I was hoping to get to system restore before it bugged out, in case that PC BOOSTER software messed something up, but no go.

I then figured maybe it is my CPU, so I reseated the CPU, hoping it might help. But, when I rebooted after that it came up with the same problems, but now it has gotten even worse. Now, before I even get to the blue sreen that says windows, my screen pixelates(I am not even sure if that is the right term), and then fades away to nothing. If I restart, the screen stays blank, but if I shutdown and then start back up it boots up about half way to windows and then pixelates and fades to nothing again.

I suspect my CPU because of the restarts I was getting and then the extremely slow load once the desktop appears, the boot itself seems to take the normal amount of time. Just hoping someone may have some insight to this problem, or maybe some suggestions. Anything would be great.

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to try and get everything in.

Jones

OK, this may be two separate issues, not sure if the software you installed may have caused some of this as well, but the initial rebooting may be driver related or (since you had problems in games and with your display) may be video card related. Try reseating the video card, when you boot up again, use F8 and try loading last good config, or boot in safe mode and try system restore from there(hopefully that can clear up all those errors you had)
If you still get the reboots you might need to reinstall your video drivers, if the errors are still present then try to get us a listing and maybe we can go from there.

Thanks for the advice, I had a friend bring a videocard over and it worked fine. So, by using his videocard I was able to boot into windows and uninstall PC BOOSTER, and then I restored to yesterday's restore point just to be sure. I then put in my videocard and everything started up fine, so I do not know what that PC BOOSTER was doing to conflict with my videocard, but I am now 100% sure that was the problem. So, NO PC BOOSTER for me! Thanks for the advice and fast reply, STORM.

Jones

it may have just been that the card had come unseated for some reason. Why, who knows, these things sometimes just happen. Sometimes its caused by a steady, constant vibration in the room, other times can be extreme temp changes, and sometimes it just isn't obviously anything. Glad to see you got it fixed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back