X1600PRO and 1256MB RAM for old eMachine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an eMachines T2482, and its specifications are:

(see for more specifications
AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+ Processor (2.00GHz)
256MB DDR (PC 2100)
S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available)

Well, I'd like to get some more mileage out of it, for gaming purposes, and have a $200 budget. So, obviously I need RAM and a video card. I am thinking of getting an X1600PRO ($119 and a 1GB stick of RAM ($66 in addition to my current 256MB. What are your opinions on these selections? I have been reading some reviews saying that a 6600GT ($115) is better on account of its faster RAM, so should I get that instead? Would I be able to run a current game, such as FEAR, at 1024? Are my processor, FSB, power supply, or any other factors going to get in the way? Maybe I am just paranoid, but I figure I might as well get some help.

If it indeed has a true AGP slot (interesting it's not listed on the ports at the bottom, but only with the integrated), then your only concern will be it's PSU.

I dont see the power supply mentioned, but I'd make sure it has a 250-300W minimum for your intended upgrade. You can usually find the power supply rating on a sticker on the PSU inside the case.

Those two cards are not too different from each other. It depends on which game you are wanting to play. Have a look here at the different charts to get a sense:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=318&model2=295&chart=95

Some food for thought: Go here and calculate how much power you're going to need:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
Then open up your case and look at the sticker attached to your PSU to see how many watts it is putting out.

As for your ram (I couldn't use the link you gave - says the server is down). Your system may not like having that new ram with the old. Mixing sizes (and speeds) of ram is touch and go, and often doesn't work out. You may need to run with ONLY the new ram, and none of the old.

Your CPU is an oldy. With the new graphics card and ram, that will be your bottleneck, but still should be a solid upgrade for you. Good luck!

vzx said:
I own an eMachines T2482, and its specifications are:

(see for more specifications
AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+ Processor (2.00GHz)
256MB DDR (PC 2100)
S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available)

Well, I'd like to get some more mileage out of it, for gaming purposes, and have a $200 budget. So, obviously I need RAM and a video card. I am thinking of getting an X1600PRO ($119 and a 1GB stick of RAM ($66 in addition to my current 256MB. What are your opinions on these selections? I have been reading some reviews saying that a 6600GT ($115) is better on account of its faster RAM, so should I get that instead? Would I be able to run a current game, such as FEAR, at 1024? Are my processor, FSB, power supply, or any other factors going to get in the way? Maybe I am just paranoid, but I figure I might as well get some help.

Same Puter I had in '03. But the same week I bought it, I got another stick of 256. Bad asz comp in 03!!

Sharkfood said:
I dont see the power supply mentioned, but I'd make sure it has a 250-300W minimum for your intended upgrade.

Good guess! "Your Recommended PSU Wattage: 244w".

Thanks a lot guys; my fears are somewhat alleviated. I just hope I have a good enough power supply.

Sharkfood said:
If it indeed has a true AGP slot (interesting it's not listed on the ports at the bottom, but only with the integrated), then your only concern will be it's PSU.

For any and all that are interested, the motherboard does have an AGP slot. The KM266 has AGP 2X/4X. This will hinder your performance, but the video card and memory will still be a great upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back