x700pro giving mad headache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

Im tired.

I built a pc a few days ago - some problems... -- sephron 2400+ winfast k7s741gxmg motherboard
I plugged in Radeon x700pro 128 (which ati's customer care doesnt even recognize as a product!)

CANT GET IT TO WORK
blank screen after load up. so i disabled it in safe mode and restarted.
i downloaded new 5.9 ati catalyst control centre and drivers -restarted again and it loaded up but i cant access any controls in the control centre and as i scroll down this page now i get a slow refreshing page meaning it is not active.

Maybe the card is not compatible with this motherboard (hope not!) - dont know how to find out.
I feel that it is a software problem, but dunno what to do!

sorry for the long post, but this has stumped me properly. I just wish it was simpler.

D

That motherboard has a built in videocard(SIS something) doesnt it? Was that properly uninstalled and/or disabled? It may be conflicting with the onboard video drivers, check the status of the videocard under device manager.

thanx supra,

I will uninstall and diable sis display adaptor in device manager - but do i do this before i install graphics card software?

also do i install gaphics card (x700pro) software before plugging it into motherboard? -- doesnt say anywhere what order to do these things in.

if i uninstall motherboard graphics then i wont be able to see anything -- will I??

Thanx for the advice!!

D

p.s. sorry about the three questions in a row!

I am not an expert, but I would say uninstall the motherboard graphics, shut the computer off. In stall the new card, restart the computer and install the drivers for the new card.

No conflict in device manager.
Tried reinstalling - no joy.
Reinstalled windows - started again and installed sound card (audigy 2 value) and got same problem with my sound card this time although it had installed fine before.
Windows doesnt boot - sometimes get past welcome screen but then just black with one or two icons only visible. This is a different black screen from the one i was getting with the x700 graphics card - where the monitor would go into standby mode.

So seems to be a problem installing devices.

I also tried installing an internal card reader (plug and plug no driver cd) - the usb port on it didnt recognise my usb mouse and then went to a blue screen (BSOD i believe).

Could anyone suggest what the problem might be. I was thinking the motherboard was screwed, but i have now system restored to a point with no sound card, graphics card or card reader and it works ok - im connected wirelessly to internet with my belkin...

i've just remembered - it also seemed to go wrong when i updated my service pack 2 xp copy with the latest micorsoft automatic updates. Not booting/freezing and black screen.

I have not yet activated windows - could that be an issue??

Is the winfast motherboard rubbish?? Couldnt find any compatibilty info on website

Any help greatly appreciated!!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back