X800 GTO2 Dual DVI to X850 XTPE Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartz

Howdy all

Just got myself a new rig, and threw in an X800 GTO2 for the obvious reasons.

The card version I have is the Dual DVI, and when I run ATI Tool, I get two anamolous readings that I'm hoping you can help me answer.

First, when I view the settings, it states that all 16 pipes are available, I was under the impression that I was going to have to unlock the last 4 via a Video card BIOS flash...

Second, I notice that ATI Tool detects my cards core as an R430, when it should be detected as an R480...

Now, I know that the card definately does not 'actually' have an R430, because theres no way you could run an R430 up to 565Mhz (Stock 400Mhz) on the core and not have it crash, nor could you run the memory up to 610Mhz (Stock 490Mhz) without a similar result... I'm definately dealing with an X850XTPE here, but ATI Tool would have me think otherwise.

Clocked at normal speeds, (400/490) I got around 9500 3dmarks ('03) and when clocked at an X850XT (520/560) I get 10800. Needless to say, these are a little low if I'm indeed running on all 16 pipes...

So finally, here is my question to all of you. I have not flashed my card to an X850, it still shows in device manager as an X800 series. I didn't flash because it says I have all 16 pipes unlocked. Do you think that, since ATITool was wrong about the core model, it could also be misrepresenting the number of unlocked pixel pipelines for some reason? I was expecting scores around 12000 Marks ('03) with all 16 pipes unlocked.

System Specs
Athlon 64 3200 @ 200Mhz FSB (no overclock, yet)
1Gb Corsair XMS (2x512 Dual Channel)
Asus A8N-SLI mobo (nf4 = teh suck)
WD Caviar 200Gb 8Mb Cache IDE
Enermax 535W 2x PCI-E enabled PSU

Bought the card from a local parts peddler in Waterloo Ontario. It came in a retail box and was unopened...

Plus if it was flashed, shouldn't it be recoognized as an X850 in my device manager?

I also missed another key part of my question, and that was, do you think there is any danger in flashing my card with a BIOS that wasn't meant for a dual DVI setup? A few people have said they've done it, but I'm not entirely sure I want to do it.

I'd just hate to have MORE problems with this computer, I suppose that story is for another thread though.

Not sure about the card not showing up as an X850 in your device manager if it was flashed.

My knowledge in this is too limited for me to be of any further assistance to you. I am just telling you this so that you don't expect another response from me and think I am rude if I don't respond.

It would take a lot more then that to offend me man :p

Thanks for the input...

I've been pushing the clock on it, to see exactly how high it can go and remain stable..

Had a good 2.5 hour session of CS:S last night, at 1920x1200 w/ 8x anistropic filtering enabled. Clock speeds were 540/580 which is getting very close to XT PE speeds (540/590) if i'm not mistaken.

Man, this was the best investment in computer hardware I've ever made...

Ok, so, I have another idea on how to solve this problem, but I need someone help... Does anyone know a good tool for measuring Fill Rate??

If I have 12 Pipelines, I should get a fill rate of around 6000 MTexels/s, 16 pipes would give me around 8000 MTexels/s, and would solve this once and for all.

mattw said:
the x800gto2 is meant to have all 16 pipelines unlocked, thats all i know about it lol
Exactly, but prior to the dual DVI version, many people were having to unlock them themselves... Now I'm wondering if they just ship it pre unlocked to save people the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back