Xbox 2 hardware specs rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The raw specs are not hugely unexpected, three IBM PPC CPUs, each capable of running two threads, for a total of six threads running at the same time. These cores, reportedly based on the PowerPC 976, the first dual core 65nm PPC core. What is more up in the air is whether each core is SMT capable, or there are true dual cores on each die. Either way, it potentially packs a huge processing punch.

The next item on the list is the GPU, this time built by ATI rather than NVidia. It is said to be based on the R500 core, and should be at least PS and VS 3.0 compatible, and DX10 is said to be in the cards. Once again, it packs a punch.

Read more: The Inquirer.

Heh, I remember reading the X-Box-1 specs and thinking "OMG that's fast"

But years later when it was released it wasn't so fast anymore ;)

Yeah it seems like the next.gen consoles are getting more then PCs are equipted with, but after reading your post Per Hansson your right - by the time it comes out that may not be so great.

i wonder how much it is going to cost. it probably won't be that expensive because most people won't spend that much on a "video game system."

Yeah but by that time it will probably be billed as an entertainment unit and do dvds, internet and everything else as well, so it might not be as cheap as you think.
I see them following the path Sony has already started down with the PSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back