XFX 256mb Geforce 7800 GTX Getting Very Hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Garyohallo1

Hi all,

I will start off with giving a run down of my setup. I have an MSI K8N Platinum Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu, 650W psu, and an XFX 256mb Geforce 7800 GTX XXX Edition in an X-Case X-Blade case.

Now for the problem...

When running the latest games, I find I can only get a few minutes gameplay before the gpu core temperature reaches the slowdown threshold (of 115 degrees c!). That is mega hot, and makes playing most games relatively impossible. I have had no problems with cpu temperature.

I have tried updating the drivers, but wondered if there is anything else I could try? I will be upgrading soon-ish to a Thermaltake case (and an AMD 6400+ X2 Black Edition!) but also wondered if this was a known problem with this product , because as I understand it, the XXX edition has been overclocked by XFX.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Please let me know if you require any further info.

Thanks,

Gary

Edit: Whilst not playing any games, the gpu temperature seems to be staying at around 78 degrees! Could it be reporting the temperature wrong?

try purchasing an aftermarket cooler, personally i would recommend zalman as i have their products on my cpu and gpu and they work very well

OK cool, thanks for that. I was thinking as well that that might be the best option. I was actually looking at getting a zalman cooler a while back. Is there a particular model that you would suggest for my gpu?

Although this would undoubtedly solve the issue, surely it should not be getting so hot in the first place? Even with the standard heatsink and fan that it came with? Could there be anything wrong with the card or my setup that is causing it to overheat so quickly?

the temperature inside your case makes a big difference, if you don't have good airflow then you can get places where heat builds up and components get hotter

ideally what you want is a 120mm fan in the front of your case, or 2 80mm ones, and a 120mm one in the back, with the same or better CFM than the one at the front. also having a fan in the top blowing outwards and one in the side pointing at your mobo doesn't hurt (- my current setup, it works quite nicely ;))

ummm you dont have any over clocking tools like atitool or trixxes do you they have a seting that overclocks when you load a profile if that is the case be very carfull i fried a card becuse it was doing a max gpu core test and the program froze and went about 90x speed i would have stoped it but like a ***** i left it to its own devices while i went to eat dinner

so if you have thows tools check em to make sure they are not seting the clock to high

his card comes pre-overclocked slightly from the manufacturer, so i doubt that a program is being used although it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Have you removed the gfx card and cleaned the fan yet? Is the fan spinning properly (i.e making normal sound/noise)? I would not recommend playing any games until you get this solved, unless you want to buy a new gfx card.

true, it could be that the fan is dusty or it's not spinning at 100% speed, i think you can find out how fast it's spinning (in %) but i can't remember where ;)

if it gets faster as the gpu gets hotter, as most recent cards do, then it should be spinning at 100% way before it gets to this sort of temp

somehow you can make it spin at 100% all the time as well but i can't remember that either i'm afraid :rolleyes:

Hey all. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I checked the gpu fan which was working OK. The case fans are useless and so I will be replacing them with something a bit better. I will also be purchasing a Zalman VF1000 for the gpu, which should do the job.

Daveskater, in response to your reply, re: being able to manually set the fan speed, I downloaded a handy little program called RivaTuner from http://www.guru3d.com which enabled me to set the fan speed to 100% all the time. It brought the idle core temperature down to around 68 degrees and enabled me to play my game on the lowest settings without it overheating. Still, not ideal though :)

I think my case is just acting like a greenhouse at the moment, so will be making some serious changes.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Gary

Oh yeah, i forgot that RivaTuner can set fan speeds ;) I think Speed Fan can as well but i had to uninstall that unfortunately :(

You can never have too much airflow in your case (unless you have so much it ris the components off your mobo - that might be overdoing it a bit ;)) so if you ca get the air moving nicely it would help your heat issue a lot :)

May I add that if you are having heat issues, it'd be wise to purchase the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black edition instead of the 6400+, since the former is a 65nm chip, which means lesser power consumption and heat output. Which also means that it'd OC much better compared to the 6400+. Just a thought... :)

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
the former is a 65nm chip, which means lesser power consumption and heat output.

I didn't realize that the 5200 version was 65nm, I would have gotten the 6400 Black Edition in my new pc (in a few months - whenever that my be ;)) if i had the money so I'll keep that in mind :)

Well hopefully the airflow in my case will be greatly improved with the Zalman gpu fan and the replacement fans I have bought for the case. Its probably going to sound like a jet taking off, but at least it will be cool! I will be picking my new case solely based on its airflow qualities and I have a massive heatpipe cpu cooler which might just keep that 6400+ beast cool, I've just got to have it!! Fingers crossed for a large christmas bonus! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back