XFX Geforce 6600 GT 256mb Vs XFX GeForce 6800XT 256MB: Is it worth the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt_Subtext

Basically I maybe able to repair my current PC by replacing the mobo, if thats all the problem is but I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card aswell to squeeze all the life out of the old girl that I can before passing my current rig on to my nephew or whatever..........

Its a Socket A mobo with a Amd athlon xp 3000 processor and the 6800 XT is only about £80 and I wonder if its actually worth buying due to the potential of it bottlenecking????? or just sticking with what ive got for a few months? the money really isnt a problem.....

Hmm what PSU ( watt ) do you have? Also your processor will run good with a 6800 since it's not a high-end card like that 7 series

So this computer is ganna be given to you nephew? That's cool :D

Videocard specs 6600:
Memory

Memory Clock: 1000 MHz (effective)
Memory Size: 256MB
Memory Interface: 128-bit
Memory Type: DDR3

Features

CineFX 3.0 Engine
UltraShadow II Technology
Intellisample 3.0 Technology
nView Multi-Display Technology
Digital Vibrance Control 3.0 Technology

Videocard specs 6800:
Memory

Memory Clock: 600 MHz (effective)
Memory Size: 256MB
Memory Interface: 256-bit
Memory Type: DDR3

Features

CineFX 3.0 Engine
UltraShadow II Technology
Intellisample 3.0 Technology

If you look at the specs you could see that the 6600 has a higher MemClock speed and has more features then the 6800 but, the 6600 has a lower Mem Interface ( 128 vs. 256 bits ) so they are both very good cards so it's up to you :)

The 6800XT is a much better card over the 6600GT, but your system could also use a bump up to a Gig of ram. What games do you mainly play? I am assuming we are talking about FPS games?

With a 6800XT and a gig of ram, your system will last you a while longer yet, but... not too much longer ;)

As TimeParadox mentions above, just make sure your PSU is up to the task of the new card.

Yeah Vegasgmc, the 6800s are great but if they both have 128bits then they are no diffrent from each other

But still the 6600s have a better clock speed then the 6800s ( from the ones I seen )

My current system other than the dead mobo

600w PSU (Cheap and cheerfull, only bought to rule out a dead PSU)
AMD Athlon XP3000
(Dead) Abit NF7sG2 mobo
2gb Corsair XMS3200 DDR SDRAM Xtreme...
XFX Geforce 6600 GT

not a bad machine despite its age when its working ;)

Figured once I find out for definate what the problem is and repair/upgrade it would make a great gift to my nephew and brother in law or something....

Oh and yes its mainly used to play FPS games, Far Cry, Doom, Cod 2 etc etc

Awesome, Why dont you just build a computer for your nephew and add all these crazy neons and have explosions and machine guns flying out then have a chicken ( have you played Counterstrike as a chicken? :D ) with a knife

TimeParadoX said:
Awesome, Why dont you just build a computer for your nephew and add all these crazy neons and have explosions and machine guns flying out then have a chicken ( have you played Counterstrike as a chicken? :D ) with a knife

Has someone been smoking something he shouldnt? ;) lol j/k

See as soon as you said have I ever been a chicken with a knife you kinda gave the game away! :)

The last time someone said anything like that to me was my best friend chasing me round a dining table in Amsterdam spouting some scary jibberish about a dog he wanted to create called A K9 - 47 with machine guns for eyes.... Ahhhhh Amsterdamn :D lol

However I do not condone the use of illeagal substances in anyway shape or form!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back