XFX TI4200 - fan is now grinding a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Commando

when i first got the gfx card it was fine, recently over 6months on, there is a noise that is easily noticable when i stop/start the fan for a second.

it's sounds like it's beginning to grind...do i just need to use a paint brush to get of dust or should i go deeper and unscrew it all and clean it out. how about lube on the fan itself?

Wouldn't try to lube it. Most fans used in electronics are sealed so if you tried to iol or grease it, you would just make a mess and none would get to the bearings. Taking it off and cleaning it good with a brush and maybe compressed air would be a good idea. The dust may be causing it to be off balance or the dust could be caked up enough that it is scrubbing.

If this is the stock fan however, follow Mic's advice and get a better fan. OC'd components and stock HSFs don't go well together. The increased heat has possibly caused the bearings to wear out. If you opt for a new fan, get one that is brushless and ball bearing.

Great advice thanks, i used to overclock for a while but not at the moment.

Just out of interest, i know the card can do up to 300core/600mem using stock hsf. So you're saying if i wanted to leave it overclocked for good i should probably get a replacement hsf like this one perhaps:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/g4.htm

It cost's a mere ~£10 from www.extremecooling.co.uk hmm...could be worth investing in for that extra speed the card is capable of.

Thats what I'd get, though I've always wanted to mount a P3 cooler onto my Geforce....wouldnt that just be bitchin? :D

I'm unfamiliar with the "1 ball 1 sleeve" Bearing. Everything I've worked with has always been sleeve or ball. Ball bearing being the desired design. I would recommend finding one with a ball bearing unless someone can explain how the half and half design of the one in your link is better.

I wonder why gfx card companies make cards with all kinds of polished heatsinks & extra stuff to make them look cool, but put a $1 fan into them that wears out after a few months. I consider the fan being quite important with these new cards that run quite hot.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
I wonder why gfx card companies make cards with all kinds of polished heatsinks & extra stuff to make them look cool, but put a $1 fan into them that wears out after a few months. I consider the fan being quite important with these new cards that run quite hot.

Just to attract more customers to get that card as it looks fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back