xp boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

formetopoopon90

Hey guys, i have windows XP, and i'm trying to make a startup boot disk. I go into my computer, format A: drive, and then click on the create dos boot disk when i formatted the disk. Well, when i boot with the boot disk, it wont let me access the C: drive, it will only let me do commands through the A drive. I've tryed doing every command thinkable, yet it will only let me use it through the A: drive, and i dont see that as very helpful when i created it to use through the C drive. Do i need to add different files to the disk to be able to access my C, or am i just doing it wrong? All help is welcomed:grinthumb thanks!

The XP install disc is your 'boot disk'. :)

Boot it up and follow the prompts to the Recovery Console.

There's no single DOS diskette that can give you full access to your system because XP's native file system is NTFS. DOS cannot read NTFS without some modifications and cannot write to NTFS short of modifying it with 3 extra disks of files. ;)

List of recovery console commands:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...docs/en-us/recovery_console_cmds.mspx?pf=true

Correction. There is a XP Boot disk out there. I have it. I just have to look through all my hard drives to find it. Once I find it I will let you know.

The CD is your boot disk by default but there is a XP boot disk out there.

Rick said:
There's no single DOS diskette that can give you full access to your system [XP]
smore9648 said:
Correction. There is a XP Boot disk out there.

There's an XP setup disk provided by Microsoft. It is 4-5 diskettes though and does you no good unless you use the CD with it. All it does is boot into the XP setup.

There are DOS start up disks out there that can read NTFS. This can be done with a single diskette. However, I'm not aware of a single diskette which can read and write NTFS drives. The file system driver for NTFS is too large for a single disk and fits on maybe 3 to 4 of them.

So yes, bootable diskettes exist which can manipulate an XP install with NTFS, but they are several disks large and really are not the best tools to use. The Windows XP install disc is the defacto standard.

hey thanks for all of your help:) . i was also woundering, is there a way to just boot windows xp to the command prompt, without being in windows first. Kind of like what windows 95,98, etc... does. It has a boot up option to go to "DOS". I know xp doesn't have a DOS boot up option, but how do you do it? Yea the recovery console helps alot, but its not command-prompt. Has anyone done this before? Thanks:giddy:

so basicly, there isn't anyway to boot windows xp into the full DOS like on windows 95, 98 and so on.. I know how to get into the windows recovery console and everything, but i'm reallly looking for a startup dos. When i use my ms-dos start up disc it always directs me to A:> when i really want to be at C:\ but it wont let me. I tryed A:> cd C: and everything, yet it wont let me out of the root A: I really just want to get to the C:\:( Does anyone see what i'm talking about?:eek: Thanks

formetopoopon90 said:
Hey guys, i have windows XP, and i'm trying to make a startup boot disk. I go into my computer, format A: drive, and then click on the create dos boot disk when i formatted the disk. Well, when i boot with the boot disk, it wont let me access the C: drive, it will only let me do commands through the A drive. I've tryed doing every command thinkable, yet it will only let me use it through the A: drive, and i dont see that as very helpful when i created it to use through the C drive. Do i need to add different files to the disk to be able to access my C, or am i just doing it wrong? All help is welcomed:grinthumb thanks!
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND CANNOT RESOLVE IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back