XP - can boot off the hard drive however my problem is after it boot I can not run an

Status
Not open for further replies.

skoscielak

Ok did all that your XP post said to do(boot from XP CD & do reinstall), Now I am getting after I try to reinstall this messege

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your compter.

The problem is that I can boot off the hard drive however my problem is after it boot I can not run any programs. Plot thickens!

I can double click a desk top icon for macAfee to run a virus check but it never runs, it sits there. Then if I do a "Ctrl/Alt/Del" to end task, it won't.

I have check power from my 350w supply & getting correct volts on all. I have 2 80G Maxtor. One has 98SE the othe XP home. Neithr boots. :dead:

Hi skoscielak, if I am understanding your post right, you have two operating systems in one computer, and neither operating system will boot; do I have it right? Is this supposed to be a dual-boot system, or is it that you just haven't removed 98 yet?

I have two separate operating systems on 2 separate drives in one computer, and neither operating system will boot. All jumpers are correct & my system has been working fine for about 2 years this way. Whit XP on master & booting from it. I haven't removed 98 as it was never an issue ever.

All dual boot setups must have certain basics;
The oldest version must be installed first on the first Active primary drive.
When you reinstalled it may have screwed with the Win 98 boot system.
You may have to load 98 on the C:\ after a format , and then reload XP. It can live on any partition on any drive , other than the partition where 98 is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back