XP COA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitmanAngel2k3

I bought XP Pro CD awhile back...and installed it on my desktop...now my laptop is acting up and was thinking of putting XP Pro on it...can same CD be used?

'Cause I was looking on ebay to buy a CD for XP Pro for my DELL, thought i'd ask here first.

NO!

Not unless you want to reinstall every 30 days.

And I would avoid EBay OS's - get an OEM from Newegg or NCIX or comparable - watch for a sale.

Assuming that you bought the retail version, you can use the same CD no problem as long as you remove the copy of Windows from the desktop :)

Uhm. If you buy one (1) copy of Windows, then it means you have the license to use it on one (1) computer. Why on earth would it come with several licenses?

The license may include things like that right to use some other OS instead of XP Pro of course, but it is still this single license.

Ok...just wanted to make sure...'cause I heard from one of our IT guys, his buddy is Microsoft something, and he said that XP Pro comes with 2 licenses...the OEM version...i just wanted to see what do others have to say...

Nope. OEM has to live and die on the machine it was originally installed on.
You can't even legitimately buy OEM without buying corresponding hardware like mobo, cpu, or hdd. If you buy a new mobo you have to buy new OEM OS (according to the EULA).

Damn....ok...what happens if i use XP Pro disk to start installation, but then use XP Home cd-key....will the XP Home edition install? (sorry for retarted question, but just gotta find out) thanks in advance.

Nope, Home won't install from a pro disk. The keys aren't even interchangeable.

You can only put it on your laptop if you remove it from your desktop.

Now would be a good time to give linux a shot :|

SNGX1275 said:
Nope, Home won't install from a pro disk. The keys aren't even interchangeable.

You can only put it on your laptop if you remove it from your desktop.

Now would be a good time to give linux a shot :|

Damn, so that means I gotta find someone witha XP Home disk and use my CD-Key?

I already have Fedora 7 on laptop, but for work, I need XP ('cause I have Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back