XP Crashing (Explorer.exe not responding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

This is my first post, sorry it's not under better circumstances.

If anybody can help that would be great.

Nearly every time I start my computer and log onto my usser account windows has a spazz (technical term). What I mean is the curser stays as the hourglass and I can't do anything (including onening the start menu). My only option at that point is "ctrl alt delete" & then "shut down" drop menu, "log off".

As it's logging off almost without fail I'll get a dialogue box with "explorer.exe not responding". My thought is that windows is the problem, but I can't figure out any more than that.

Please help.

Coash

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I suppose I'm stating the obvious, but have you run a registry fixer uppera through it. Also a quality virus scan. Are you running explorer 7 with Incredimail, If so go back to ExP7 or download updated Incredimail. They had to create an update for Incred because of incompatibility with exp 7. Best of luck. https://www.techspot.com/vb/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thumbs up

I have a registry fix prog. At the moment it's stuffed. Gets to a point and will not continue. (Just one more stuff up). I have numerouse virus scanners going on, updated as much as possible.

And I use firefox not Int. Explorer. I don't know anything about Incredimail.

I believe Explorer.exe is actualy windows explorer (XP) not internet explorer.

Thanks anyway.

Coash said:
I have a registry fix prog. At the moment it's stuffed. Gets to a point and will not continue. (Just one more stuff up). I have numerouse virus scanners going on, updated as much as possible.
Have you tried booting up in safe mode? If not try it, view your event logs and look for the problem there.
Coash said:
I believe Explorer.exe is actualy windows explorer (XP) not internet explorer.

Thanks anyway.
They are one and the same thing. IE now has a new front end and no longer shares the explorer.exe front end but is still integrated into the OS and uses some of the same shared libraries as explorer. Also many programs can crash explorer on start up which often makes it hard to trace the program causing.

It could be that you have a corrupted Windows update. If you have automatic updates turned on, your PC will download updates from Microsoft automatically. It is possible for an update to become corrupted during the download process and cause your iexplore.exe or explorer.exe to stop responding.

First, turn off "automatic updates" via the conrol panel. This should cause "update.exe" to stop choking your system. If update.exe is still running & choking your system, you may need to stop it via the task manager.

To check if you have a damaged update, open Internet Explorer 7 and in Internet Options, click Settings under Browsing History. Next click View Objects. If an object is damaged (in the status column), remove it.

In Internet Explorer 6: under Temporary Internet files, click Settings. In the Settings dialog box, click View Objects. In the Microsoft Windows Explorer window that appears, click Details on the View menu. If the status of any listed object is Damaged, delete the object.

You should also delete the temporary internet files in case there's a corrupted temp file there.

Don't forget to turn Automatic Updates back on. Your update.exe should start back up and successfully update your system without thrashing and causing explorer.exe or iexplorer.exe to stop responding.

Hope this helps someone...

--Joseph Szarmach

Coash said:
Hi guys,

This is my first post, sorry it's not under better circumstances.

If anybody can help that would be great.

Nearly every time I start my computer and log onto my usser account windows has a spazz (technical term). What I mean is the curser stays as the hourglass and I can't do anything (including onening the start menu). My only option at that point is "ctrl alt delete" & then "shut down" drop menu, "log off".

As it's logging off almost without fail I'll get a dialogue box with "explorer.exe not responding". My thought is that windows is the problem, but I can't figure out any more than that.

Please help.

Coash

Thanks in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back