Xp crawling along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantex_rox

hello,

Lately i have been having performance problems with windows xp pro sp2. My computer is a slot 1 667mhz p3 with 1 10.2 gig quantom fireball, 80 gig wdc, and 80 gig samsung, 256 ram, radeon 7000 64mb video card. Lately, when it boots up, it takes about 25 seconds to boot, then when it does, it runs fast for about 10 mins, for those 10 mins, it runs 0-2% idle. Suddenly, the 10 gig reads like crazy, the cpu goes up to about 40-50% idle, and the page file usage goes anywhere from 600-999mb. After a while, it cools down.

I scanned my compter for spybots with spybot, and i scanned my computer for viruses with avast, and still didn't do anything.

Pentium III 667 fsb is SLOW anyway. Quantum fireball is a problem, and is NOT helping that setup. Memory wholly inadequate. Western Digial 80 GB's have been trouble since October of 2005... if it is the silver model, run drive fitness tests and consider moving on.
Disconnect the Quantum and WD. See what changes you get... but you must have more memory... 512 MB at a minimum.
I suspect you have a pending hard drive failure or two or three. Download and run the drive fitness tests for each, but dump the Quantum regardless of the report.

Of course, you know you must change the motherboard, memory, power supply, and video graphics card to do this.

Yes you can. Some are very good combo packs at newegg.com, pcsolutions.com, zipzoomfly.com, Outpost.com, Directron.com, and perhaps 42 others.
But you do have to make budget allowances for CPU, CPU Fan, Adequate Power supply, Memory, video graphics card or use ht onboard video... if you shortcut on any of them with AMD's high heat, high power demands... You must be sure it fits the case you have. You will have to do a "repair" install or better of Windows XP because it will not like the changes.
Good luck. We love to watch and learn on new projects.
Let us know what you plan to do, how it all works out in the ordering and shipping, and how your final assembly does.

It will be four years before he knows anything. Build you own and you will be ahead of him in no time.

I think it will be some time before that happens, he has already built 3 gaming computers, and told me everything i know about computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back