XP Home 2002 - SP2 won't install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EHMSEE

I'm brand new to this forum and came here searching for help...

As you've read already, I have XP Home 2002 with SP1 and I recently downloaded the SP2 self-extracting .exe off of the Microsoft website.

I ran it and it started extracting all of the files, then when it finished, it gave me an error saying "SETUP ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified. Installation did not complete".

As far as I know, I haven't altered Windows since I bought this computer...can anyone assist me? I really need SP2 on this computer...I can't take SP1 anymore...

You might benefit from buying the SP2 disk from microsoft. It costs $3.40 and you receive it in three days.
Or try a second download.

raybay said:
You might benefit from buying the SP2 disk from microsoft. It costs $3.40 and you receive it in three days.
Or try a second download.

Okay...I'll try buying the SP2 disk. Hopefully it doesn't mess around like the download did...but seeing as that won't be for a while, does anyone have any other info?

Did you disable any antivirus software on the system before installing SP2? You could also try using Windows update to install SP2.

I think I might have...can't remember...

and I've tried using Windows Update...it won't update for me for some reason...it just stays blank whenever I tell it to update me...

that's a good idea...sorry to sound n00bish, but how would I go upon installing all of Windows again? and will i need to back-up everything on my computer, such as music/pictures/files/etc?

You will need to backup any files you want to keep, especially music, pictures, etc. BTW, it is a good idea to back up these files periodically anyway, because parts failures can occur anytime without warning. For a repair it should not be necessary but it would be prudent. A reinstall, however, will wipe out everything so definitely save anything important.

You will need a Windows XP CD. Manufactured PCs sometimes came with Windows CDs for this purpose. Some did, some didn't. Did yours by any chance? BTW, what PC do you have anyway?

Well, it's not my computer, technically. Gotta check with my parents about where the original CD's were when we bought this in like, 01...

But okay, I'll have to back up all my Documents And Settings and all of my music before I do a complete re-install...by the way, I have a Dell Dimension 8200...

Dell Dimension 8200. Okay, then I think it should have come with a Windows CD. I have an old Dell Dimension 8250 and it came with it.

For the exact procedure on how to fresh install Windows, you will find many websites that outline the procedure. Read through them to familiarize yourself with the process. You can post back in these forums if any detail is unclear. One other CD you will need is the driver CD that also came with the Dell or you can download the latest drivers from the Dell website using the service tag number to find things. Make sure you have these things on hand before starting the reinstall to avoid problems afterwards.

Basically, you change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD drive the first boot drive, put the Windows CD in the tray, reboot and the Windows CD will begin the installation process and you can follow the prompts to reformat and, optionally, partition the hard drive and then the Window installation itself continues after that. Once Windows is installed you install the motherboard and other drivers and any security software like antivirus. Don't forget you will have to go to Windows Update and reinstall all the critical updates and any optional updates you want. Remember that after updating, there will be addition updates of the updates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back