XP-Home Installation Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kt3mplar

Recently, on my new computer, I f*cked up some Internet reception settings with port-forwarding, and couldn't revert them. I decided that a reinstall of Windows XP was needed. I started it while the computer was active, and it did the mandatory system restart. Then, when it booted, I booted it from disk and it resumed setup. I discovered that as soon as the installation reaches 34 minutes remaining (during the "Installing Devices" phase), the installation crashes with a memory dump, which flashes for about a quarter of a second before the computer powers off.
I just can't figure out a solution. I have already taken the computer back to it's barebones (HDD, DVD-R/CD-R/Reader, PS/2 Keyboard, VGA, PSU), but it still crashes.
HDD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA
VGA:Asus Nvidia GeForce EN7600GS Silent/HTD/512 MB
DVD/CD= Lite-On SHM165H6Sw w/Lightscribe
MB:Asus A8N-SLI NForce 4
PSU: Apevia Aspire 520
Monitor: Dell E770

Kt3mplar said:
Recently, on my new computer, I f*cked up some Internet reception settings with port-forwarding, and couldn't revert them.

I don't know what you've done there, can you explain what you did in more detail?.

Kt3mplar said:
I decided that a reinstall of Windows XP was needed. I started it while the computer was active, and it did the mandatory system restart.

What do you mean "started it while the computer was active"? Did you do a reinstall from within XP itself? If so you probably won't resolve your problem. The best way is usually always to boot from the XP crdom and do a clean installation, formatting the HDD and erasing all data. To do this you have to back up your important files first and make ready any drivers required for you to connect to net, such as usb dsl modem drivers and the login credentials for your ISP account.

Kt3mplar said:
Then, when it booted, I booted it from disk and it resumed setup. I discovered that as soon as the installation reaches 34 minutes remaining (during the "Installing Devices" phase), the installation crashes with a memory dump, which flashes for about a quarter of a second before the computer powers off.

If the installation crashes during device detection and you did this:

Kt3mplar said:
I just can't figure out a solution. I have already taken the computer back to it's barebones (HDD, DVD-R/CD-R/Reader, PS/2 Keyboard, VGA, PSU), but it still crashes.

If you have onboard video use that instead of the nvidia card during installation.

Then you could also go into the BIOS setup and disable any other peripheral devices such as onboard sound, LAN, any ports, USB etc. If that fails you may need to mess with the memory settings (slow it down) to increase stability.

The problem could also be caused by damage to the cdrom itself, or the cdrom being dirty.

I don't know what you've done there, can you explain what you did in more detail?.
Yeah, I can. I download µtorrent and, in order to speed up downloaded, I set-up a static IP and portforwarded to it inside the router (Linksys WRT54G)

What do you mean "started it while the computer was active"? Did you do a reinstall from within XP itself?

Yes, I figured it would at least cancel whatever changed. I don't think it was the portforwarding that did it, because if that were the case, I could still reach the router setup. But I'll discuss that on the Networking sub-board.
No login credentials. IP Generation algorithm is stored inside the router.

If you have onboard video use that instead of the nvidia card during installation.Then you could also go into the BIOS setup and disable any other peripheral devices such as onboard sound, LAN, any ports, USB etc. If that fails you may need to mess with the memory settings (slow it down) to increase stability.

Can't be done. My CMOS is effed up and keeps clearing BIOS settings. I don't think I could reduce the frequencies without the system retaining BIOS setting, either.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep checking back once those other problems are fixed. I know what's wrong with the CMOS, I'm just too cheap to buy a new mobo right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back