XP Home OEM Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev32

I was wondering, for curiosity sake, what the rules behind installing then activating (as I have done) a copy of XP Home OEM is? Is the software tied in with your mobo's bios or the actual case and can you after 120 days reactivate on an entirely different system?

Once you activate one particular disk on a machine, Thats it!!! From what I understand, the cd key is somehow tied to the hardware, etc in that machine.
After I had activated win xp on my computer, I tried to activate it on my son's computer and microsoft treated me like I had stolen something. :mad:

Anybody else????

I'm not sure, I've never tried to install xp oem on a second system(I think doing so is agaist what's allowed in the Eula anyway). I've heard people say that oem can only be for one system, and the retail can be moved from computer to computer(as long as it's only on one pc at a time). I'm not sure if it's actually "tied" to the motherboard. If it was, then people couldn't get replacement mb's if they wanted to upgrade, since it'd be different.

Oh, wait, I did replace the mb in my dell pc, I guess dell xp is oem. It worked fine when I replaced the board and repair installed, so I guess it's not tied(?), but I haven't tried doing a clean install on the new board yet to know for sure.

vnf4ultra said:
I'm not sure, I've never tried to install xp oem on a second system(I think doing so is agaist what's allowed in the Eula anyway). I've heard people say that oem can only be for one system, and the retail can be moved from computer to computer(as long as it's only on one pc at a time). I'm not sure if it's actually "tied" to the motherboard. If it was, then people couldn't get replacement mb's if they wanted to upgrade, since it'd be different.

Oh, wait, I did replace the mb in my dell pc, I guess dell xp is oem. It worked fine when I replaced the board and repair installed, so I guess it's not tied(?), but I haven't tried doing a clean install on the new board yet to know for sure.

Well it must be tied in somewhere :p I should be able to say reformat on the same machine with which i originally installed XP OEM and then reinstall XP OEM.

I would think it's stored in system files somewhere. I had a not the most legal copy of XP and after I reformat my HDD, I can install it no problem.

cT

Basically, OEM versions of Windows contain 4 files in the i386 directory that identify your computer as prelicensed through a specific OEM. You can use this CD for any installation, provided that you have a license for each installation. If you attempt to install using an OEM windows CD on a PC that's not from that specific OEM, you'll simply be prompted to enter a license key and activate windows as if the CD you use was a normal retail CD.

Ok, So will I be able to format and reinstall XP Home OEM (I have the disc) on my PC, on which i activated my copy of XP as well.

A "Microsoft "OEM Windows disk Is treated the same as retail disk ; EXCEPT
-It is to be purchased with Hardware(License is tied to the original Reseller as a matter of Record) Updating Hardware is no problem. You must re-register hardware changes based on "7 out of 10 major components)
-You will not receive standard Microsoft Support as Warranty(You will be charged a Premium.
There are minor rules that Microsoft sets on a arbitrary basis, but don't lose any sleep over it.

the Windows XP OEM will get some infomation from BIOS when you install it
so BIOS is very important.
and there are 10 points about hardware that need to be checked when Windows be reinstalled,if there is more then 3 points has been changed,it can not be activated with the old sn.

I can now say that all is well. I reinstalled XP Home on my PC and activated it with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back